exaust manifold gasket

Guest rayjay1902

Guest rayjay1902

im installing new exaust manifold gaskets. im using the copper rings, now i found out they make felt ones also. does anyone know which ones are better? this is on the 17 touring.

Guest 1930

Copper, I was not aware that they made felt versions for exhaust manifold, that makes little sense to me

Not felt - but a steel wrapped asbestos substitute. Avoid them like the plague. They burn out in a few hundred miles (ask me how I know). The original style copper gaskets are the way to go. The copper ones can also be re-used by annealing them - bring to red heat and allow to cool in air.

Tony, you are dead right. Those composite head gaskets that are supposed to replace the copper/ asbestos ones are rubbish too. I know; the one on my Austin lasted no time at all. The irony is that my Dad used to work for James Walker who made them - the copper ones, that is - when he was alive I could have provided all you guys with free gaskets!

Ray.

Guest rayjay1902

thanks guys. Myers dodge has both kinds. i ended up buying the copper ones. now i just hope everything comes apart easily