Unusual transmission, 1938 Self-shifter?

Pete Phillips

A friend sent me this link to an unusual transmission which is currently for sale on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310405121029&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en: It appears to be an early Hydra-Matic but without a torque converter or fluid coupling, which makes it very similar to Buick's rare 1938 Self-Shifter semi-automatic transmission. Tag on side says "Hydro-Stick" and Van Nuys, California and seller says it came out of his grandfather's 1950s hot rod shop. Has anyone ever heard of this Hydro-Stick transmission? I presently have a '38 Buick Special with the Self-Shifter transmission in my garage (belongs to BCA member David Corbin) and it looks a lot like what is in his car, but of course there is no tag from Van Nuys, Calif. Maybe that company remanufactured them?????

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

That tranny is an early race only unit. A clutch was used in front instead of a torque convertor. Basically you had the trans in low,clutch in, max rev and pop the clutch. You then shifted as an auto through the gears. Not suitable for your car. Let a rockabilly hick get it. Rich