36 Dodge hood hinge end pieces

hchris

Hi all anyone tried to repair the 2 piece hood hinge and particularly the end retainer pieces ?

Here in Aus we may not have the same as the repro pieces we see on ebay, would like to attempt a repair or be reassured that the ebay items will do the job.

Hi Hchris. Doing a quick search just now came up with this:

http://forums.aaca.org/f143/1936-dodge-hood-hinge-retainer-267529.html

I don't know if you have already seen this one, but it may be of interest, especially from post #20 - not sure what came of it....

I'd love to see what yours looks like and how damaged. I'm in the same boat, albeit different year and model, ('29 DA). My cowl-end retainer is busted out on one side of the hole where the hinge slots into. Mine may be totally different to yours. I'm not even sure what material my retainer is made from yet. I'll put up a pic - not great, but the best I have now, and it is too cold, dark and scary to go out to the shed and get a better one! Its the black piece down the bottom with the two rusty screws in it for those unsure of what the hell they are looking at. ;)

I'd be interested in know how you get on with this as I am also in Oz. Best of luck with it, Ross. :)

post-84687-143138986682_thumb.jpg

Guest 1930

Most of them that I have run across ( hold-down I mean ) are brass, originally brass sometimes steel screws with a steel squre nut. Lockwasher as well, the hold-down will be two piece, be carefull with the hardware, the original loops or hold-downs or cowl end retainer as you have reffered to them as and the original attaching hardware is difficult to come by.

I would be very interested in what pieces you come across when you go to take that one apart as it is not a Detroit manufactured DA

I'm pretty sure these are the hood hinge retainers that "knobless" spoke about in that other thread. (The remanufactured ones).

I am having trouble with my "hood retention" also. The hood hinge pops out of the retainers - both ends - when the hood is opened on the driver side. I am hoping replacing these hinge clips and doing a little straightening on the hood hinge ends will fix the issue. :(

post-67404-143138988014_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143138988016_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143138988019_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143138988026_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143138988033_thumb.jpg

post-67404-14313898804_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Dodgy6 - thanks for the link & yes its a universal problem, cant help with the DA unfortunately.

1936 D2 - exactly the same problem here, are you using those new retainers ? we have tried massaging the ends without success; would be interested in those retainers if they work for you.

No. I bought some old stock (used) ones from a guy last year and will be eventually using those. I have heard good things about the remanufactured ones though.

My biggest concern is how to correctly fix the ends of the long hinge still mounted on the hood. Those need some kind of straightening (as you can see in my photos) before connecting to the new(er) hinge clip ends. I am also assuming, once the connections are straightened properly, that the hinge end clips (or trunions as some call them) should be slid into place on the long hinge ends and THEN attached to the vehicle. That way the setup will be locked together and will (hopefully) not pop apart when mounted on the car. :confused:

The ones I make, can be used to tweak the center tube ends before installing the hood, a little advise, if you are going to rechrome your center,fix the ends first, I sold a set to a guy in NC? and he called with the same problem ( hood slips out ) I told him you have to reshape the ends by inserting my repro's and twist until the clip/hinge end is perpindicular to the center tube he said it worked great unfutunatly he cracked the new chrome plating, hense, fix before you plate. I should have my setas done in 2 weeks,,,($100 per set plus shipping)

These work!!

The ones I make, can be used to tweak the center tube ends before installing the hood, a little advise, if you are going to rechrome your center,fix the ends first, I sold a set to a guy in NC? and he called with the same problem ( hood slips out ) I told him you have to reshape the ends by inserting my repro's and twist until the clip/hinge end is perpindicular to the center tube he said it worked great unfutunatly he cracked the new chrome plating, hense, fix before you plate. I should have my setas done in 2 weeks,,,($100 per set plus shipping)

These work!!

Excellent !! if you would be so good as to PM me with availability and Aus shipping cost I would be grateful.

On the ad page it states "...Professional Vendors who are Members may list here as space permits. No charge for listings,..." I would consider you a professional vendor. ;)

I would contact The Editor: John C. Bittence at: welshfield@nowonline.net for more information.

Also if not a Member, check out the website for membership information at: Club Membership | Dodge Brothers Club