'40 Buick Special w/ factory A/C

Guest BigDogDaddy

Guest BigDogDaddy

I spotted this on ebay. The seller claims that the car is a 1940 Buick series 40 Limousine with factory air conditioning.

I was tempted to contact the seller to tell him that there is no no such thing as a 40 series limo or factory A/C in 1940. I wonder if the seller just doesn't know anything about Buicks or is intentionally misrepresenting the car.

I hope the link works.

Phil

Buick : Other Buick : Other | eBay

Guest BigDogDaddy

And he claims it is a 40 series limo. Really ? ! A Buick Special limo ?

Another give away, is that someone who is buying a 40 Series car would not shell out the extra money for A/C. In 1940 it would add tremendously to the cost of the car, probably about half the price of the base car.

As MrEarl suggested the a/c was probably added later. I am not aware that Buick offered a/c in 1940. Even Packard who are recognised as one of the earliest to offer it only began in 1941. The car is listed on ebay as a model 40-4019. I guess it is actually a model 4419 - SuperCar Buick body style charts, style numbers, body tag plate - a regular model 41 Special touring sedan. I know in Europe they tend to use limousine as a word for sedan. Unless someone has added a divider window inside I think it is just a sedan.

That seems to me to be on the high end for such a common car, and the six wheel option, to my eye, doesn't look that great on a 1940 Special. The "factory" AC likely made the difference. The buyer can be comfy on hot summer days, and still claim the car hasn't been modified.

I see it appears to have sold for $15,100.00. Is that a good price for a nice tidy 1940 Special?

Guest Rob McDonald

Sounds to me like the seller and buyer will both be happy with this transaction. It apparently met the reserve and this seems to be a lovely car.

The seller didn't actually describe the car as a limousine, he just said that its sidemounts evoke the style of classic limos. Yeah, sort of. As for the a/c unit, a less informed owner could easily mistake a 60 year-old device for one that'd be 70 years-old, if it was original. Which it isn't.

Nonetheless, the new owner will enjoy in-car cooling, if he lives in one of the many parts of this continent that get unbearably muggy in the summer touring season. Let's just celebrate a deal well made.

I'm with Rob.

The car seems to be a "nice driver" and if it stays in the midwest, the air conditioning will come in handy....

With the stock fan, I wonder how the engine cooling works ? But I did see a "shroud" around it. And the compressor looks new.

My grandfather had a '40 Century w/ sidemounts and he often told me that he thought it was the prettiest Buick he ever owned.

Congrat's to the new owner, and lets all welcome him aboard..........

Just my $ .02

Mike in Colorado

I'm with Rob.

Congrat's to the new owner, and lets all welcome him aboard..........

Just my $ .02

Mike in Colorado

HEAR, HEAR, that's the attitude to have. :)

the trunk unit and clear plastic vent tubes coming out of the back shelf was used in Buicks in 53-55 and their were similar aftermarket units available. Who knows, maybe someone wanted AC in their 40 Buick back in 54 and had it installed. I think it's "cool" myself. Gotta wonder though if that cool air from the vent tubes makes it all the way to the front seat of that "limo".

As MrEarl suggested the a/c was probably added later. I am not aware that Buick offered a/c in 1940. Even Packard who are recognised as one of the earliest to offer it only began in 1941.

Just for the record, Packard is THE first to offer factory air conditioning, and it was in the fall of 1939 on the 1940 models. It was offered through 1942. The only other companies to offer air conditioning before the war were Cadillac (1941-42) and Chrysler (1941). All three companies used the same unit, issued and installed by Bishop and Babcock, in Cleveland Ohio.