Temperature

Guest BarelyFit

Guest BarelyFit

Saturday I was driving down south to see my mom. It was in the high 90s. Most of the trip was uneventful, but after an hour of driving at 65 the temp gauge was creeping up to the 3/4 mark. It has never done this before. I slowed to 60 and it stayed there, for a while. It then crept a bit over the 3/4 but never into the HOT zone. I pulled over and checked the coolant level. The reservoir, it was churning but not overfilled or empty. I have driven in the heat plenty of times before, AC was not on as the top was down.

Got any clues as to why the change in the temp reading?

Guest My TC Toy

I agree, it does sound like the t'stat is not fully opening. If replacing I would suggest spending a couple extra bucks for the better t'stat, like a Stant.

Replacing the tc t-stat is the easiest job I ever did on it. Yours is probable stuck almost closed.

My t stat had split in two! I had to pick retainer, spring, and rubber seal out of the lower intake manifold.

I know many like pure rtv but if you pick up the t-stat gasket for $1.80 it makes the job even easier and neater and less likely to leak. 20ft # on bolts?

Edited by franc944 (see edit history)

Replacing the tc t-stat is the easiest job I ever did on it. Yours is probable stuck almost closed.

My t stat had split in two! I had to pick retainer, spring, and rubber seal out of the lower intake manifold.

I know many like pure rtv but if you pick up the t-stat gasket for $1.80 it makes the job even easier and neater and less likely to leak. 20ft # on bolts?

I can see that you have a 3.0L as that is the only thermostat that falls apart. This doesn't happen with the thermostats on the American built engines.

As for a gasket, it is much more likely to leak than RTV applied properly.

I know the engine is Mitsubishi design but wasn't it made in Mexico?

I can see that you have a 3.0L as that is the only thermostat that falls apart. This doesn't happen with the thermostats on the American built engines.

As for a gasket, it is much more likely to leak than RTV applied properly.

Pardon me; HECK NO!

The TC was built in Milan Italy, the 3.0L engines are built by Mitsubishi motors, altered to Chrysler's specs.

Guest Jim_McNally

I think what Hemi was referring to is that the 4 cyl turbo engines were made in the US (although you can argue about where which parts came from on the 16V...)

Jim