electri fuel pump

tenugent

Guest pgadler

I have the same problem and will try this solution, after tip from my neighbour, where it solved the same issue with his Ford Fairline -66.

Guest Birdman

I have added an electric pump to prime the system after it sits. Its the type of pump that lets the fuel flow even AFTER the pump it turned off.

Works great! I turn on the pump wait a few seconds give the carb one or two pumps and it starts right up and stays running. As soon as it starts I shut off the pump.

I had a the same problem with another car and installed an electric fuel pump just outside the tank. I ran a wire to a switch under the dash and wired it so it would only work when the key was on or in the accessory position. This is a flush mount push button type of switch and only runs the pump as long as you hold it. Turn the key on and hold the switch for about 5 seconds and then start the engine. The regular fuel pump then does the job and just draws the fuel through the electric pump. If the car has been sitting for several months I would hold the button longer.

Guest FrostByghte

My '63 has a mechanical and electric pump on it. It starts very easily. I've read a bit on running both inline and as long as you have a regulator on the pressure it seems to be ok. Keep in mind I'm not exactly Mr. Experience here, but just sharing what I have. I've owned my riv for about a year now.

I got a Carter 60504 in line electric. It's a universal full time pump that works in conjunction with the mechanical pump. They're available on-line through your favorite source. It's not that big and easy to mount.

Ed

31NN16K4CKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

.after mine sits for a few days -seems it takes alot to get fuel to carbs-starts -stalls runs rough till warm.

There is another thread that discusses the evaporation problem in much more detail. Sorry, I didn't look for the link to post here.

If I recall correctly from that post, modern gas will evaporate faster than when these cars were built. Also, it said that one or two pumps of the gas pedal is not enough gas to start up the nailhead. I think they went into some detail on why the carb does this, and needs more gas to successfully startup.

So the solution to this is to crank the starter for about 10 seconds to get the pump primed; shut off the ignition; then pump the gas pedal 10 times; then start. I do this now everytime I start the car after it sits. It works everytime now.

This may be a little harder on the starter but it actually may be helping the engine to ensure that oil is lubricating the parts before zoom. The 10 seconds on the starter will allow the oil to flow.

You may want to try this first to see if it solves the problem, and then decide if a helper pump is right for you.