85 Rear Bumper Fillers

cracker

This is my second post regarding Bumper Rrear Fillers for my 85 RIV. I have read all previous posts on the subject and I keep hearing the name Bobby as the person that is trying to duplicate correct fitting fillers. I recently purchased some of the fiberglass ones from Replica Plastics and they did not even come close. so back they went. I also understand the 6 piece ABS Plastic ones also have problems . Someone out there must have a solution.

Only if you were to find some NOS fillers are you going to be completely satisfied.

The original fillers had latex incorporated in the mix to provide flexibility. Whether on a car or in a box, at this point they are all brittle.

Primarily speaking from Cadillac experience, the repros need a great deal of coaxing and adjusting to fit correctly, but can be made to work. A friend of mine went with the ABS kit and eventually had to resort to a heat gun, but in the end they look and fit correctly now.

I put ABS on one of my cars. I did quite a bit of grinding, filing, sanding, strectching, bending etc. but when it was all said and done they still had that extra joint in them. The aftermarket guys need two ABS pieces to make one OE piece. It's right out there where eveyone can see it too. In retrospect, I liked the fiberglass ones better - just don't expect them to be flexible if you run into anything.

For now, pick the lesser of the two evils until someday (maybe never) someone will come up with something better. From and R&D and manufacturing standpoint ($$$$$$), just how many of these items do you really think there's a market for? Be realistic. Especially when 80 - 90% of the folks will take what they can get and make the best of it.

Ed

Guest northmn

I used the same poorly fitting fiberglass fillers but chose to make them fit by modifying them using construction fiberglass (regular fiberglass with chopped strands of glass mixed in). Here are pics and notes on how I did it. I went with the glass ones because there are more compatible materials that work with them and higher resistance to aging problems. I mounted the light assemblies then did the final fit of the rear fillers to get the gap straight. They are a lot of work and took me 2-3 weeks but the end result was worth it and better than when new. And NO I wouldn't want to do it again.

post-58922-143138958325_thumb.jpg

post-58922-143138958331_thumb.jpg

post-58922-143138958337_thumb.jpg

post-58922-143138958343_thumb.jpg

post-58922-143138958348_thumb.jpg

post-58922-143138958354_thumb.jpg

post-58922-14313895836_thumb.jpg