Cassette Player Removal Question

Trey

I am about to embark on the "Cassette Deck Repair Manual" project as taken from Ronnie's website; however, the manual assumes that the cassette deck has already been removed. Does anyone know how to remove the cassette deck?

It's really easy. Just get your fingers underneath the plastic bezel (make sure you're under the plastic part and not the aluminum faceplate on top of the plastic), and pull out. The bezel should pop right out. Then you just remove the four T-15 torx screws that hold the tape deck in. Next remove the tape deck and unplug the two plugs on the rear.

Good luck!

Does anyone have any experience with the "Cassette Deck Repair Manual" project? Will I regret undertaking this daunting task and wish that I had just sent it off to Delco to be repaired by a professional? The phrase "fools rush in where angels fear to tread" is going through my mind.

Guest Northwestsun

I say go for it! It's mostly a matter of procedure with this stuff. If you are orderly, can follow directions and take your time you should be okay. (Good eyes help!) Look, it's not working now, right? What have you got to lose? You can always send it in or buy a unit already rebuilt.

I did the capacitor rebuild last year and it was worth the time and effort as it turned out fine. I'm planning on doing what you are trying - though mine is on a '90. Ronnie's directions, I believe, are for '88-'89.

Dave :)

Does anyone have any experience with the "Cassette Deck Repair Manual" project? Will I regret undertaking this daunting task and wish that I had just sent it off to Delco to be repaired by a professional? The phrase "fools rush in where angels fear to tread" is going through my mind.

Trey, I just brought up an old thread on this issue, hope it helps. Feels good to do your own repair. If you need more info let me know.... Jim

I wonder if M & R Electronics would be able to fix the "ears" that hold the steel pins on the sliders that are probably cracked. Would they have access to replacement white sliders? If I did the project myself would I have to glue plastic parts together? Would I have to get spare parts from old decks?