How to remove clincher tire?

490touring

Recently took my 1919 Chevy 490 for a slightly longer than usual (3 block long) drive and promptly blew a tire. Ordered a replacement tire and tube, but am unable to get the old tire off the rim. I can't get a tire tool under the bead and no amount of standing on it will break it loose. Any hints?

Guest Mochet

Reciprocating saw, being careful not to cut the rim. You'll need a new tube, of course!

Phil

A hacksaw to an old clincher tire is really sometimes the only way. The rubber bead becomes one with the steelm almost like vulcanizing.

I had old tires on a 1911 Hupp once, tried tire irons like you did, no way.....as mentioned, a hacksaw ( I actually used a portaband, down the last inch, then did the last inch with a hand hacksaw so as not to nick the rim).

Good luck....

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

A 1919 Chevrolet would have demountable rims. take the rim off the wheel and lay flat on the ground, on a piece of cardboard if you want to protect the side of the rim. With your modern car, drive over the tire, only the outer 4" of the assembly, not the rim. Works well to break the bead loose on straight side tires, sometimes does the trick on clinchers too.