Split ring removal

Guest MidTNDawg

Doug, I'm not really sure if you're asking about truck type split rims with the separate rings, or the passenger type split rims. First and most importantly, make sure all air is out of tire. The passenger type split rim has a lock tab that can be turned with a hefty tool, enough to clear the split in the rim. Work the tire bead over one side of the rim at a time while trying to "collapse" the rim inwards. Sort of in a spiral attempt. A special tool was made to pull in at three points on the rim, using arms with hooks, adjusted by a crank in center not unlike an old auto jack workings. I've seen other types too, in sort of a long, double-rod design, with hex nuts as the medium for length adjustment. Without this kind of tool for these split rims on the passenger cars, it's sort of like wrestling alligators.

Guest 1930

Hello Doug, try and leave the rim on the wheel, let some of the air out so there is not so much pressure, remove the nuts and retainers and hit the backside of the tire while turning the wheel, it will come off.

Once you have it off you will see a clamp to remove the tire, two styles ( at least ) that I am aware of were used for DA rims, both pull up and over but in many cases the clamps are long gone and the rings will be welded shut, hopefully you wont have this problem.

Guest MidTNDawg

Pete and Jason thanks. Pete, as Jason knows I am referring to the wheels on my 1930 DB DA. The wheels are 60 spoke wire wheels. Pete, do you have a picture, or sketch, of the tool?

Jason, I did not see "clamps" holding the tire.

What I am doing follows.

I remove the valve core to remove all air. Next I break the tire loose on each side. Then I take a tire tool and go under the split ring from the outside edge. Using the tire as a fulcrum, I press the split ring out and up. When I have 3-4 inches of the ring outside the edge of the wheel I place a large screwdriver under the ring to keep it from sliding back under the wheel edge. Then I work the center of the tire tool under the ring with one end of the tire tool resting on top of the tire and the other end resting on the edge of the wheel. Then I push / pull like crazy to get several inches of the ring from under the wheek edge. At this point I grasp the ring and pull it from under the wheel until it is free of the wheel.

Boy, I hope the description can be understood!

Jason, BTW, what I am doing is putting the tires on which I bought from you.

Guest 1930

Sounds like you have it then, I also have the tool ( a different version ) of what Pete is showing but I dont see a whole lot of benefit with it so I go about it pretty much how you explained above

29Chrysler75wirewheel.jpg

One edge of the split ring has a recess. This allows a small tyre lever to be inserted. I find it easier to cut a piece of timber the diameter of the wheel to act as a fulcrum. That way you lever off the timber not the wheel. Once the first edge is slipped out it's just a matter of slowly working around the wheel lifting the ring. You may need two tyre levers to get it started.

The big mistake many people make is to work a small amount of the ring free and then grab it by hand and pull the ring out. This only stretches the ring or distorts it out of shape.

The idea of the timber is to sit across the face of the wheel to protect the spokes and the paint. You could also cut a round piece of plywood with a hole in the centre to assist.

Guest MidTNDawg

Thanks for the reponses. lozrocks, thanks for the suggestion of the wood. A good idea I believe. I suppose I was hoping for the "magic bullet".

Doug, dont you have wood wheels in which case lozrocks post does not pertain in this case?

Doug, I was thinking the very same thing. I thought you had expandable rims, not split rims. Aren't yours similar to this? If they are, all you need is the one end of your "S" shaped tire iron as a tool.

post-37352-1431389501_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138950105_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest 1930

DA locks are not quite the same and dont use quite the same tool but the principle is the same

Guest MidTNDawg

Matilda's wheels are wire spokes. lozrocks wheel is the same except for the color. My wheels are black.

Guest MidTNDawg
Thats what happens when you dont post many pictures :)

Guilty! I will try to rectify this problem.