Break in oil?

64R

Most all of your major oil companies make a specific break in oil, you just won't find it at Wally World or your local jobber - unless you special order it. You might try a local engine builder or buy some on-line. Joe Gibbs racing is the one I hear most about. Google Joe Gibbs Racing and see what he says on his website. NASCAR engines are more similar to our older engines that the newer OE type engines in that the NASCAR engines are still runnig flat tappet cam shafts with push rods and need the same oiling requirements that our older engines need. There's a link on his website that I read some time ago about how modern oil and flat tappet cammed engines don't get along. Well worth reading.

What kind of oil did you plan on using once the engine is broken in? The article I mentioned will help you make that decision as well.

Ed

Thanks Ed, I'll have a look for that site. I haven't really thought about what oil to use after but sounds like it'll be something out of the ordinary. I don't know what our parts stores have up here, we may have royal purple and they should have a break in oil.

Because of the flat tappets (lifters) running against the camshaft, your oil requirements are going to be different from almost anything that's typically on the shelves at NAPA, Auto Zone, etc. that's designed for modern overhead cam engines. You're going to need an oil that has at least 1,000 ppm (parts per million) of zinc in it. Modern oils don't have that - the zinc causes early catalytic converter failure in cars so equipped. I've found a couple of oils that do have those specs. A couple of them are oils designed for diesels - Shell's Rotella, and Mobil's Delvac; but I understand that Shell's Rotella is undergoing some changes. If you're scared off by running an oil designed for diesels, a good one is a Mobil 1 synthetic. I'm thinking it's their 0w-40 - also available in high mileage formulas for engines over 75,000 miles.

Here's a link to the Mobil 1 data sheet. Look for 1,000 ppm of zinc or more and/or a reference to flat tappets.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

Some of the Mobil 1 oils can be purchased at Wally World in 5 quart containers. What ever you do, DO NOT run a Fram filter - they spend all their money on advertising rather than product development. Do some research on oil filters and make a good choice. (I like Wix filters and they're easy to find - NAPA Gold filters are made by Wix.)

Before "ASS U ME ing" anything read the write up on Gibbs website. Better to spend an extra buck or two now than to spend a bunch rebuilding a freshly rebuilt engine.

Ah, heck. Here's a link to the site in case anyone out there is a doubting Thomas. When you read it, remember that this guy sells Joe Gibbs oil so he's going to say it's "the one." Do some research on your own and find any oil that he's describing that's available in your area.

Joe Gibbs Driven - Training Center

Ed

PS - I don't know if Royal Purple meets your needs. You should do some research for yourself and find out. Doubly so for the break in.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Thanks again Ed, that's a lot of good info to sift through. I have read a lot about how bad fram filters are, actually pretty much all filters except the Wix. Last thing I need is to screw this up. I'm a few weeks away from ready to fire it up so I have time to sort it all out.

Thanks for all your help!

Thanks, I'll have to go to the jobber and see what they have and then research it. shipping to canada involves brokerage charges, etc., everything ends up costing double so hopefully I can find something up here. After all we build motors here too.

The Mobil 1 high mileage looks like it would work after the break in.