63 Riv, what to paint?

Zimm63

Can someone post a good picture of the vent in front of the windshield on a 63-65? Its where the windshield washer mounts and directly behind the hood, there are two of them about 18 inches wide.

I had mine rechromed and now I am trying to figure out how much of it needs to be painted. I think just he upper rim is not painted body color, but would like to see some examples.

Any help would be appreciated.

Zimm

I don't have any detailed pictures but I can tell you that you are correct. From the factory the entire assemby was chrome plated. Then the chrome on the grills was painted body color. The only part of the assembly that remained chrome was the lip around the top.

Ed

I had mine rechromed too. I am not going to paint them,this may not be correct, but they look to good to paint. There is a picture of a 64 in Classic Car awhile back that showed a yellow Riv that did not have them painted and looked really good! Mine is going to be black and I think it will look good. MHO only.:)

If you do decide to paint the grills, you need to mask off the chrome with duct tape and then glass bead the grills. Otherwise the paint will not stick and self etching primer does not help. If anyone has a better idea as to how to get the paint to stick please let me know.