What are you using ??

Guest Kingoftheroad

Guest Kingoftheroad

Today I was cleaning the tires & hubcaps on my Buick.

What are you using on your Turbine Wheel hubcaps ?? While I can get in between the ribs for cleaning, one at a time, I'm just wondering if there is a better, faster way to clean them.

I use Westley's Bleach White on the tires. I keep repeating applications until no more brown (dirt) comes from the pores in the rubber.

On the cast wheel covers, I use Eagle 1 or some other brand of cleaner for magnesium wheels. A cleaner that has hydrochloric acid in it. Wear rubber gloves and eye protection. (If the cleaner is for alloy or clear coated wheels, it's not the powerful stuff.) After that, I use an SOS pad on the shiny parts. Finish it off with some metal polish.

Ed

Guest Kingoftheroad
I use Westley's Bleach White on the tires. I keep repeating applications until no more brown (dirt) comes from the pores in the rubber.

On the cast wheel covers, I use Eagle 1 or some other brand of cleaner for magnesium wheels. A cleaner that has hydrochloric acid in it. Wear rubber gloves and eye protection. (If the cleaner is for alloy or clear coated wheels, it's not the powerful stuff.) After that, I use an SOS pad on the shiny parts. Finish it off with some metal polish.

Ed

Thanks Ed,

What method do you use to get between the ribs on the hubcap, a small brush or rag ?? You have the Turbine hubcaps ?? I still think there is a better way then using a tiny brush or your fingers in between each rib. All though, my tires & hubcaps look pretty good now..

I washed the tires down with water & used an SOS pad on the whitewalls, seemed to work.

post-68245-143138935424_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kingoftheroad (see edit history)

The acid in the cleaner does a good job. I just usually have to hose them off after they's sat for a while. However, after seeing the picture you posted, I see that you have a '64 with the painted inserts. The cleaner I was telling you about in my first post would eat that paint. Don't know what I'd do if mine were painted and not natural.

Ed

Guest Kingoftheroad
However, after seeing the picture you posted, I see that you have a '64 with the painted inserts. The cleaner I was telling you about in my first post would eat that paint.

Ed

I was thinking the same thing....

For the last ten years I have been using Westley's and 1000 grit wet or dry sandpaper with lots of water on my whitewalls. Very happy with the results. See the smile?

Yes, I do raise each wheel and do a thorough job.

hub1.jpg

Guest Kingoftheroad
For the last ten years I have been using Westley's and 1000 grit wet or dry sandpaper with lots of water on my whitewalls. Very happy with the results. See the smile?

Yes, I do raise each wheel and do a thorough job.

hub1.jpg

WOW ! Thats dedication.:)

Jim,

Good article, thanks for posting it. As I was reading the section "Dress for Success" it reaffirmed what I've been saying about using protectants i.e. Armoral that have silicone in them. Those dressings will cause the rubber/plastic/vinyl to dry out. Once the material dries out it loses it elasticity, it will crack.

Ed

Guest Kingoftheroad
Jim,

Good article, thanks for posting it. As I was reading the section "Dress for Success" it reaffirmed what I've been saying about using protectants i.e. Armoral that have silicone in them. Those dressings will cause the rubber/plastic/vinyl to dry out. Once the material dries out it loses it elasticity, it will crack.

Ed

Its funny, I've heard this many times but, never have had any problems with drying out or cracking rubber. 9 times out of ten, when I do use tire dressing, its Armorall, interior & exterior parts, I have to say, I don't armorall everytime I wash my vehicle. I use Armorall even less these days, its just a once in a while thing now... I definitely like Armorall over other dressings I've tried !!

Questions for you. In your opinion, what makes it better? Because it's shinier?

A number of years ago I was the operations manager for a vinyl repair franchising operation and we tested Armor-All against a couple of other brands and one that we made ourselves. We hired a chemistry professor from the local university to work with us on our protectant. We rented locker space at the local butcher shop and did some heat testing as well. The samples that we covered with Armor-All were the first to crack and you could tell after bringing the samples back to ambient temperatures that the Armor-All samples were not as pliable as some of the others. We were testing the products on dashboards at the time. No seats or tires. The chemistry professor referred to the cracking of the vinyl as "plasticizer migration caused by an excess of silicone."

Poor management practices forced the franchising operation into shutting down, but we did make one heck of a protectant for a while. Too bad I didn't get the formula before I left.

In my most humble opinion, Armor-All , like Fram filters, spends too much money on advertising and not enough on product development.

Ed

Guest Kingoftheroad
Questions for you. In your opinion, what makes it better? Because it's shinier?

A number of years ago I was the operations manager for a vinyl repair franchising operation and we tested Armor-All against a couple of other brands and one that we made ourselves. We hired a chemistry professor from the local university to work with us on our protectant. We rented locker space at the local butcher shop and did some heat testing as well. The samples that we covered with Armor-All were the first to crack and you could tell after bringing the samples back to ambient temperatures that the Armor-All samples were not as pliable as some of the others. We were testing the products on dashboards at the time. No seats or tires. The chemistry professor referred to the cracking of the vinyl as "plasticizer migration caused by an excess of silicone."

Poor management practices forced the franchising operation into shutting down, but we did make one heck of a protectant for a while. Too bad I didn't get the formula before I left.

In my most humble opinion, Armor-All , like Fram filters, spends too much money on advertising and not enough on product development.

Ed

I believe you Ed, its just I've never had any problems with interior or exterior cracking from dressings.

I like Armroall better, it may not in fact be better according to others. I prefer Armorall because of the shine, easy application, the fact that it didn't attract dirt like a magnet, and it was easily removed when I wanted to wash the car. I tried one of those spray on dressings and a week or two later when you washed the car again, you had a thick layer of scum build up on the tires, it was gross trying to wash that crap off, Armorall didn't do that.

I see now that we're probably talking about different items. I'm refering to using Armor-All on the interior surfaces, especially molded vinyl like dashboards; I don't have any experience using it on tires. I rarely use anything on the sidewalls of the tires other than the Westley's Bleach White. I can get them clean enough to look good without making them shiny. (Shiny tires make me think of patent leather shoes - don't wear them either. Too fru-fru)

Just good solid clean black rubber and crisp whitewalls if so equipped.

Ed

Guest Kingoftheroad
I see now that we're probably talking about different items. I'm refering to using Armor-All on the interior surfaces, especially molded vinyl like dashboards; I don't have any experience using it on tires. I rarely use anything on the sidewalls of the tires other than the Westley's Bleach White. I can get them clean enough to look good without making them shiny. (Shiny tires make me think of patent leather shoes - don't wear them either. Too fru-fru)

Just good solid clean black rubber and crisp whitewalls if so equipped.

Ed

LOL....

I use it on the dash & other interior parts too.....