39 Ply Pickup trans interchange w/34 Dodge p/u

GDenton

I'm trying to locate a transmission that I am going to use in my restoration of my 34 Dodge pickup. I have a transmission out of a 39 Plymouth pickup. The number on the side is C-36502, and the number on the top behind the shifter is C-36274. I have located a transmission out of a 35 Dodge pickup, but don't really want to buy it if the 39 Plymouth transmission is the same. I haven't seen the Dodge Transmission, it's a couple of states away. Can anybody give me any hints as if it is the same. I have looked in the interchange book, and it looks like it should work to me, but I'm not an expert using the book. Thanks, Guy

I dont think the numbers on the tranny will help, I bet someone here can give you your answer but if not remind me and I will find the time to look it up no problem.

33Ply I bet will know

I don't know what the Dodge part numbers are so perhaps someone else can chime in on that. For the Plymouth trucks two different transmissions were used. Per the 1936-48 Plymouth Parts Manual, the complete transmission assembly part numbers are:

1063658 - A three speed transmission used on 1937 PT50, 1938 PT57, 1939 PT81, 1940 PT105 and 1941 PT125.

1063659 - A four speed transmission used on 1938 PT57, 1939 PT81, 1940 PT105 and 1941 PT125.

These numbers are higher than I'd expect the original part number for a '34 vehicle would have but I wouldn't be too surprised if they'd match up to the equivalent numbers given in a late '30s to late 40's Dodge parts book.

Hi I've got a 34 Plymouth and am currently installing a 38 Dodge gerabox in this. The car is on the hoist as I write this . I've been told it will fit and it looks like it will fit and I will tell you for sure within the next few days ! Karl

Hi Jason, We are getting the truck home finally. Bad weather has hampered it from happening, but this next weekend should be the one. I'll be taking lots of pictures so we will all see what it looks like out of the woods. I have been looking for the parts I need to restore it to as original as I can get. I found a guy that had an all stock 35 pickup that his Grandfather gave him. He is making a street rod....OH NO, stomach pains???, and I am buying all the parts from his truck to put mine back to stock. Front axle with springs, rear axle, steering column, Steering wheel, all four original shocks, drive shaft, clutch and brake pedals, gas pedal throttle linkage, floor board, the metal one, and a bunch of small stuff. So, it's looking good so far for parts. I also bought a 39 plymouth pickup frame with all the running gear and engine and transmission. Since I didn't know the interchangeabily of the plymouth and the Dodge, I figured I'd get both, and may have enough parts to get my truck back to stock condition. I have already spent more on parts than I have for the truck...This is a long term project, I am hoping to have it completed in 6 years, when I am 70. If anybody wants a 25 inch spitfire engine, attached to a 4 speed transmission, let me know. That's the first thing coming out of the truck. Thanks, Guy

Good tohear and look forward to more pics, remember if I can help in any way with maybe parts interchangability than let me know via P.M if I dont respond here.

Dont want to be a post hog ;) so as to give other people the chance to help as well.

Don't forget (in another post) I have a set of Newnes manuals which cover most repair proceedures with these trucks. I can't scan stuff but I can copy down the correct proceedures for any jobs that you may not be 100% sure of.

Ray.

Ive been meaning to put a date on those manuals but have had no time, it would help if we knew what they were referancing

These manuals are a set of four entitled MOTOR REPAIR and OVERHAULING by George Newnes Ltd. Tower House, Southampton Street, Strand, (London) WC2. They are quite heavy; hardback.

Quite when they were printed, it doesn't say but they are the ninth edition and deal with many different vehicles from the early 1930's to 1948 so my guess is around 1950 publication. What is useful is that they clearly explain proceedures for long lost skills such as the pre selector gearbox and archaic engines etc. The manuals don't just focus on British cars; there is a section on servicing Packard six, eight and super eight. The only Dodges mentioned are the trucks: models 80B, 82A, 101A and 101B if that means anything.

Ray.

Quote........models 80B, 82A, 101A and 101B if that means anything............I will try and see if I can figure out these models and post a date than