What I think my Dodge is...

Dodgy6

Hello :)

Based on the front fenders, light bar, (which is bent), and guage cluster billet I'm thinking I have a 1929/30 DA buckboard.

Guessing from the research I have done so far, (only a weeks worth of internet trolling), that it is a TJ Richards body. The wooden trayback or bed is surely original from TJ Richards. It sure ain't new! It has more in common with horse drawn vehicle construction and hardware than anything we would consider to be automotive.

The wheel base is approx 112"- that is measured from the stud through centre of the leaf pack front and rear. I have no wheels or diff to go off.

I have yet to find a chassis or body identification number. To be fair though, there is not a whole lot of body to identify!

Engine #: H78-239 I am unable to find a match on a list for this number. :confused:

Could anyone verify for me if I am on the right track with this vehicles year and model?

Many thanks :)

post-84687-143138927026_thumb.jpg

post-84687-143138927031_thumb.jpg

post-84687-143138927038_thumb.jpg

post-84687-143138927044_thumb.jpg

Guest John1918

My best guess would be DA with the crease in the front guards, headlight bar and front (round) chassis member. Bit of work there eh mate? John

I will look it up no problem and get back with you

That would be great, and I really appreciate the info given so far. :)

I'm loving this car. Its a mess - probably not even half a vehicle, and what is there is a basket case but I'm having great fun starting to tear it down to the chassis. It's been raining on and off this weekend here so I'm having some good shed time and getting my fill of WD-40 fumes.

I hope the old girl appreciates being under cover and out of the weather for the first time in who knows how long!

Here's how I dragged her out of the paddock and up to the shed:

post-84687-143138927095_thumb.jpg

post-84687-143138927103_thumb.jpg

Hard to remember everything but as I suspected that is a very early engine, first DA engine carried motor no of H-1001 which was placed in car no DA-1 rolling out of Dodge approx. 12-17-28.

Next entry that I have ( on what I am referancing at this instance but not to assume there are not further referances to pinpoint further if you wish ) is DA-1896 with a motor # of 82903 built approx 12-31-28

THe engines were manufactured quicker than the cars and were stockpiled awaiting their respective chasis if that helps explain why we are only looking at a lapse of 14 days.

You may have one of the earliest DA engines known. Shame about that pesky connecting rod, what are your plans for it, I see alot of usefull parts at the least.

What are the hoops for mounted alongside the bed, I would assume to carry something.

Is any of the bed movable or was it built stationary, more pictures all around the vehicle would be appreciated.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

I don't know anything about vehicles that old but it sure looks like Jed Clampett's truck ;-)

Jed Clampett never had it so good, this is a Dodge

BTW do you know where to look for the serial number on the frame?

I've been all over this truck and come up with nothing yet.

Any hints on where to look would be good as there is still plenty of crud on the frame in some spots. Thanks :)

Hard to remember everything but as I suspected that is a very early engine, first DA engine carried motor no of H-1001 which was placed in car no DA-1 rolling out of Dodge approx. 12-17-28.

Next entry that I have ( on what I am referancing at this instance but not to assume there are not further referances to pinpoint further if you wish ) is DA-1896 with a motor # of 82903 built approx 12-31-28

THe engines were manufactured quicker than the cars and were stockpiled awaiting their respective chasis if that helps explain why we are only looking at a lapse of 14 days.

You may have one of the earliest DA engines known. Shame about that pesky connecting rod, what are your plans for it, I see alot of usefull parts at the least.

What are the hoops for mounted alongside the bed, I would assume to carry something.

Is any of the bed movable or was it built stationary, more pictures all around the vehicle would be appreciated.

Great info 1930. I hope I can find a frame number so I can at least tell people "it's a 1929 Dodge Brothers DA..." yada yada yada.

Yep, real shame about the engine. It must have made a hell of a noise when it let go. The opposite side of the block is also cracked out but not as bad. Now that I have the truck up on blocks you can actually see daylight through from one side of the block to the other! :eek: Talk about grenading an engine!

The "hoops" on the bed are actually support stantions for the sides of the bed. I'm really excited about how this bed is going to look when rebuilt. The only moving part on the bed is the tailgate, (gone), which swings down. The hinge pieces are still attatched at the rear. Here are some picks I came across of another truck with a very similar bed. You can see the how the "stantions" form the sides and a ledge at the top of the sides. You can also see the tailgate.

post-84687-143138927939_thumb.jpg

post-84687-143138927941_thumb.jpg

Someone has a very nice truck collection there, more pict. would be nice.

The frame number will be found same side as your steering wheel, just above the area where the REAR SHACKLE of the FRONT spring attaches to the frame. #s will maybe be very faint, hand stamped big letters but they will be there if DA Frame.

Someone has a very nice truck collection there, more pict. would be nice.

The frame number will be found same side as your steering wheel, just above the area where the REAR SHACKLE of the FRONT spring attaches to the frame. #s will maybe be very faint, hand stamped big letters but they will be there if DA Frame.

I got those pics from a PDF I came across whilst search the web to identify my truck. The PDF was of an auction that happened a couple of years ago. Yes, a very nice truck collection indeed, and I bet some bargains were had. Here's the link:

http://www.elders.com.au/toowoomba/files/DayTwo20032010Catalouge.pdf

I was looking for the frame numbers right in that spot this afternoon. I will look again and scrub a bit harder with a wire brush this time!

If there is any way to increase the size of those pics ( auction pics ) let me know. hard to see details with little thumbnails they provide

Sure looks like a DA frame thats had something else grafted onto the rear portion, numbers gonna be there if it is, get a wire brush on a drill worse case.

If there is any way to increase the size of those pics ( auction pics ) let me know. hard to see details with little thumbnails they provide

Sure looks like a DA frame thats had something else grafted onto the rear portion, numbers gonna be there if it is, get a wire brush on a drill worse case.

Was that in the PDF link or the two that I posted for those pics? They come out a decent size on mine. If you are looking at the original PDF document you should be able to zoom in to 400%.

I'm still coming up with nothing on that frame number. :mad:

Down to the bare metal with the wire brush and I know I'm looking in the right spot. I found the thread of yours about frame numbers and the pics in there show it clearly where you mean. Very frustrating. I really hope it hasn't been removed.

I am 99% sure its a DA frame, but knowig the chassis number would fill in some blanks for me. Its a bit like flirting with a really hot girl and not being able to remember her name!

The numbers are very faint as Jason said and everyone has the same problem in finding them. One suggestion is to use wire wool or emery cloth, rather than the brush and try casting the light from your lead lamp at an angle while looking along the side member. Sometimes wiping over the area with an oily rag or even a grubby finger will show something up . As Jason said, you are looking for quite big but very thin markings; back from the rearmost front spring shackle. You might even resort to using a magnifying glass.

I suppose you will restore it as a 'ute; if you do, there are some interesting Dodge Brothers designs to follow with all the details available from other guys on here.

Is there anyone near you who can weld that crankcase - although it could be done these days, it would probably be expensive. I would consider plating it over; secure with set screws and seal with epoxy. Just an idea.

Ray

Was that in the PDF link or the two that I posted for those pics? They come out a decent size on mine. If you are looking at the original PDF document you should be able to zoom in to 400%.

I'm still coming up with nothing on that frame number. :mad:

Down to the bare metal with the wire brush and I know I'm looking in the right spot. I found the thread of yours about frame numbers and the pics in there show it clearly where you mean. Very frustrating. I really hope it hasn't been removed.

I am 99% sure its a DA frame, but knowig the chassis number would fill in some blanks for me. Its a bit like flirting with a really hot girl and not being able to remember her name!

Sorry, I meant the pictures of that auction and its trucks you posted a link too,

Dont look in that exact area, it can move around within a foots ( 12 inches ) distance of the normal spot.

Trust me the front half of that frame is DA, no doubt in my mind, coarse if its not Ill blame it on the pictures :D

The numbers are very faint as Jason said and everyone has the same problem in finding them. One suggestion is to use wire wool or emery cloth, rather than the brush and try casting the light from your lead lamp at an angle while looking along the side member. Sometimes wiping over the area with an oily rag or even a grubby finger will show something up . As Jason said, you are looking for quite big but very thin markings; back from the rearmost front spring shackle. You might even resort to using a magnifying glass.

I suppose you will restore it as a 'ute; if you do, there are some interesting Dodge Brothers designs to follow with all the details available from other guys on here.

Is there anyone near you who can weld that crankcase - although it could be done these days, it would probably be expensive. I would consider plating it over; secure with set screws and seal with epoxy. Just an idea.

Ray

I've given the whole area around that spring hanger a pretty decent going over. I reckon I've looked so hard I've started imaging numbers! Unless the numbers were stamped where the fender sits against the chassis just above the hanger - there is a bit of corrosion along that line where I guess moisture got trapped and that could have made them disappear. Maybe she's not ready to give up all her secrets just yet. When I have totally stripped everything off the frame and I start cleaning it up then I will know for sure if there is or isn't a number somewhere. In the meantime I think I may need to find out from the Transport Dept, (DMV/DVLA), if I need a frame number to get her road registered. I don't wan't to spend a bunch of cash on a truck that I'll never be able to drive.

I am going to restore her as a ute. Although she pre-dates what we know as a ute and they used to call them "buckboards" back in the day. It's a term which goes back to horse drawn stuff I believe. I want to restore her to "original" condition. There is enough of the tray/bed left that I can figure out how it all went together. Panel wise I'm missing the bonnet. All the others are there although they all need lots of TLC and some need completely replacing. The timber body frame is 100% unusable, so my woodworking skills will be put to the test. I have no interior what so ever, no radiator, no gearbox, no diff, no axles, no wheels, no brakes, no head, no carby, no exhaust manifold, no motor to speak of, no guages, no lights or electricals, no lots of things!

I think I'm going to have to write the engine block off. As much as I wish I could save it and I know some people put a lot of store into keeping original engines in restored cars and correct numbers etc, I would have to get another complete motor anyway to rebuild this one if the block could be salvaged. Don't get me wrong, I'll hang onto this one just in case I win the lottery!

Heres's a few pics. Believe it or not the tennis ball sized hole in the crank case is probably not the bad side! The opposite side has a very nasty 3-way crack that runs down to and along where the oil pan bolts up. The last pic is my favourite - I put a light behind the block and turned off the flash on the camera. Enjoy. ;)

post-84687-143138929208_thumb.jpg

post-84687-143138929215_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgy6 (see edit history)

Reminds me of a holloween lantern :P

It would really help if you could snap a picture of where you are cleaning, I had a sedan at on epoint that had no numbers on the side but were only on the top under the fender.

I dont know what its like there but here I wouldnt dream of contacting the DMV inquiring anything about any numbers, they make and sell metal stamps and I have no issue with stamping my own set of numbers.

Reminds me of a holloween lantern :P

It would really help if you could snap a picture of where you are cleaning, I had a sedan at on epoint that had no numbers on the side but were only on the top under the fender.

I dont know what its like there but here I wouldnt dream of contacting the DMV inquiring anything about any numbers, they make and sell metal stamps and I have no issue with stamping my own set of numbers.

Just read this post by Aussie8 in the "Australin history" thread.

"I have a T J Richards bodied 1930 roadster. I have never been able to find a chassis number or a body number on the vehicle."

Although I have also thoroughly wire brushed and searched the entire outside and top of the chassis rails from the cowl to the chassis horns. Here is where I have been looking the hardest:

post-84687-143138931294_thumb.jpg

This is prob. a stupid observation/question and I will prob. come to the conclusion that I am just nuts for suggesting such a thing because I should know better but could it be that the serial # is in the same place opposite side since the car was obviusely built for export I.E steering box on the wrong side ( my wrong side ;) )

Either way on your picture I dont see the rear spring hanger for the front spring which directly above is where you are gonna find it

On my Australian bodied car, the number was on the off side so I doubt it is on the other chassis rail, but we just don't know for sure.

Also without the spring in place it is difficult to picture it, but I would be looking a bit further back, I think.

Ray.

Assuming thats the clamp for the brake line than yes it seems you are looking too far forward as Ray said but it might be the picture

This is prob. a stupid observation/question and I will prob. come to the conclusion that I am just nuts for suggesting such a thing because I should know better but could it be that the serial # is in the same place opposite side since the car was obviusely built for export I.E steering box on the wrong side ( my wrong side ;) )

Either way on your picture I dont see the rear spring hanger for the front spring which directly above is where you are gonna find it

On my Australian bodied car, the number was on the off side so I doubt it is on the other chassis rail, but we just don't know for sure.

Also without the spring in place it is difficult to picture it, but I would be looking a bit further back, I think.

Ray.

Like I said, I have been all over the front half of this chassis on both sides, (near and off, lol), and come up with nothing. Short of CSI bringing in their UV light thingy, I just don't think its there!

But to clarify, I've put some cheat notes on the pic. (I hope this works)

post-84687-14313893275_thumb.jpg

Guest DodgeKCL

Stupid question I suppose: but did you ask neighbors around the site if they had any parts from it? Did you walk a perimeter of maybe 200 metres and look in the grass for any parts? I've heard of guys finding parts for something like this all over the farm/property. Used in constuction of chicken coops and sheds and whatever many years ago and forgotten.

I looked at my own frame and yours matches up with what is on mine as far as I can tell, letters are pencil mark thin, what are the marks on that frame runnin top to bottom almost in a swiping motion, grinder marks maybe, maybe the #s been ground off, I blow up the pic and I swear that I am starting to see remanants of numbers as well

Just to clarify, you did look on the top of the frame? Its there or was there somewhere

Stupid question I suppose: but did you ask neighbors around the site if they had any parts from it? Did you walk a perimeter of maybe 200 metres and look in the grass for any parts? I've heard of guys finding parts for something like this all over the farm/property. Used in constuction of chicken coops and sheds and whatever many years ago and forgotten.

Good thinking and I've been all over my place on the hunt. Found various bits of cars including a bent up chassis, (not the same), and a couple of wire spoke wheels attatched to two halves of a diff way back in the bush that may have been used to build a farm trailer at some point. The diff doesn't look Dodge but I should post up some pics anyway.

My place is in an area that has orchards, vinyards, and vege farms. Anything that stops moving of it's own accord looses it's running gear pretty fast to make farm trailers.

Accoriding to the neighbours, the previous, previous owner of my place used to do up old cars - they seemed to think they were "Oaklands". Apparently the house which was reno'd by the last owners was chock full of car parts and he used to rebuild engines and gearboxes inside! (He must have been single!) There is still dark stains on the wooden floors where motor oil has soaked in!

I looked at my own frame and yours matches up with what is on mine as far as I can tell, letters are pencil mark thin, what are the marks on that frame runnin top to bottom almost in a swiping motion, grinder marks maybe, maybe the #s been ground off, I blow up the pic and I swear that I am starting to see remanants of numbers as well

Just to clarify, you did look on the top of the frame? Its there or was there somewhere

Jason, the swiping marks are just the marks from my wire brush. Ive checked the top of the frame and scrubbed that too. There is a bit more pock marking from corrosion than on the sides but enough good surface to make me think they aren't there either.

If they exist I will most likely find them eventually when I'm prepping the chassis. :)