stromberb carburetor

Hi, i am still searching for a stromberg MP-2 carb for a mid twenties pierce arrow 2 ton truck, the carb is an updraft and the air intake faces the block and actually draws warm air through the block to help vapourise the fuel, it is a rare carb but was used on a few different models of pierce arrow trucks, can anyone help? thanks mike.

• 2 years later...
Guest Spencer Restorations

Greetings Mike, Did you find the MP-2 carb? I am looking for one also for a 1925 Pierce Arrow dump truck. Also looking for gauges. Any leads could help! Thank you, Spencer 860-546-o6o5.

• 6 months later...

The Stromberg MP series is simply a modification made for Pierce of the standard M series. Google a Stromberg M, then move the air intake from inline with the bowl to right angles to the bowl.

The MP series came both as an MP-2 (exceptionally rare) or the larger MP-3 (just rare without the exceptionally). Both are identified in letters and numbers cast into the side of the carburetor about 3/8 inch high. No mistaking one if you see it.

And no Mike, I still don't have an MP-2 although I do have the larger MP-3.

Jon.

hi jon, thanks for your expert knowledge on carbs, I have wondered if just a plain M2 Stromberg carb could solve my missing part problem?? but I keep coming back to your quote on the bottom of your posts, so tempting, one has to turn up someday?

hi dave and spencer, sorry for not replying sooner, just had little response on the carb issue, I don't have a picture unfortunately of the rare beast, I think its coming up 5 or 6 years now I've been looking/searching, and the words exceptionally rare do seem to apply to this Stromberg carburetor!!

thanks to you all, cheers mike.

The ebay item listed is the larger MP-3. Within the M series, as with most (not all) Strombergs, a single number following the series was the S.A.E. flange size, in this case a 3.

The size 3 carb is a nomimal 1 1/2 inch carb (probably measures 1 5/8) with a center to center mounting bolt spacing of 2 15/16 inches.

The smaller size 2 is a nominal 1 1/4 inch carb (generally measuring 1 3/8) with c-t-c spacing of 2 11/16 inches.

The MP-3 was used on a Pierce 4 cylinder 429 CID; while the MP-2 was used on the Pierce 4 cylinder 276 CID.

Jon.