how to operate the econo transmission on a 1941 "120"

Guest daveagain909

Guest daveagain909

I recently bought a 1941 model 120 4 door sedan in original condition, I have a question. What is the correct position of the lever for the econo-drive transmission when starting the car? How do you engage the econ-drive option? How do I operate the car transmission if I do not want to have the econo-drive engaged? As you can see I know nothing about this option and have not driven the car yet, Unfortunatly the original owner is out of the picture and I was given no advice or instruction on how to operate this car through the gears,, I do not want to cause any damage to the transmission so any help (advise) or any operational manuals that can specifically instruct me.

post-53072-143138922649_thumb.jpg

post-53072-143138922653_thumb.jpg

post-53072-143138922656_thumb.jpg

Nice looking car. It looks like you also have the electromagnetic clutch, as signified by the red pedal. The information below is good only for the overdrive. I know nothing about the electromagnetic clutch.

If the knob under the dash is pushed in (usually on the right side of the column), the Econodrive (overdrive) is engaged. If it is pulled out, it is locked out or disengaged. The owner's manual gives directions on how to do it while moving, but I suggest never to do it while you're moving.

With the Econodrive engaged, it is rather simple (if it's working properly). Once you reach a certain speed, a red light will come on in the dash pod. That means overdrive is ready when you are. Simply lift up on the gas pedal for about a second or so, the light will go out, and you have successfully shifted into overdrive.

You can shift into overdrive in any gear. However, if you shift into overdrive before 3rd, you will remain in overdrive until (1) you slow down to a speed in which it automatically drops out, or (2), you mash down on the accellerator pedal and it kicks down into regular drive.

I hope it is working for you. Let us know how you do.

If you don't have an owner's manual, which tells you exactly how to use both the Econodrive and the automatic clutch, go here:

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.category.php?15

Edited by West Peterson
Had the wrong information about the overdrive lockout knob. (see edit history)

Guest bkazmer

nothing to do with OD, but if your wheels are straight in the interior shot, your desireable optional "K" steering wheel is on upside down

Not much info in the owners manual on Electromatic clutch but the service training manual is also available at Packard info. http://www.packardinfo.com Go into Literature and Manuals, service, shop and training manuals and scroll down to the non year dated material. (Econodrive or Aerodrive service manuals available too and note there are differences in pre and post war systems so get the correct one.)

Depending on your wants, the Electromatic clutch manual may give too much detail on service and adjustment side but is about the only comprehensive reference explaining function and operation. The prewar system is fairly complex compared to postwar. Many of the devices have been disconnected, disabled or totally removed since they are somewhat finicky to keep adjusted and many didn't understand or want to mess with them.

Edited by HH56 (see edit history)

Guest daveagain909

No the wheel was turned making the steering wheel look like it is on upside down, Thanks though I did not notice that in that picture. So that steering wheel is something special?

Guest daveagain909

I do have a question about the electromagnetic clutch, what is it and is that what makes this care operate like an automatic? I can not find any information on how it works?. anyone have any info on how to operate?

I think I will start a new thread for this question.

Guest bkazmer

three wheels in 41 that I know of:

Junior wheel, T spokes, all three resin covered

Senior wheel, T spokes, center vertical spoke exposed and plated

optional wheel, K spokes - what you have

someone else may be able to do a more accurate version.

Guest bkazmer

you also have an interior option that I like

dash and garnishes in upper color instead of wood grain (silver)

plastic color to complement(blue)

two tone broadcloth (gray/blue)

Guest daveagain909

It appears to be a highly optioned car? also I noticed that the wheels are the silver blue and not the dark blue like the lower body color (original paint), I have seen other pictures of cars with this color combination and they all have the wheel color in the dark blue. This car also has a radio, it has a under seat heater and another heater under dash. Is that normal? BTW the car interior is all original and the car is documented as having only 43K miles.

post-53072-143138923194_thumb.jpg

post-53072-143138923197_thumb.jpg

post-53072-143138923199_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...