Headliner replacement

Guest jasonperkins

Guest jasonperkins

I am looking at replacing the headliner in my 1937 Plymouth. I visited a few upholstery people and well yeah very pricey. After some searching I came across two sites that have replacement headliners. The companies are Kanter Auto Products - Classic Antique Auto Restoration Parts and WLS Headliners - Automotive interior products anyone had any dealings with these? Is it worth the money do they look good etc....thanks

Guest jasonperkins

Also on a side note they say they follow factory patterns, so that would imply there are factory patterns. Anyone know where I can download or somehow get these? I would be interested in making my own to match my seats.

I have dealt with Kanter and the product is very good. I would be careful of making a headliner to match your seats. I can't remember ever seeing a headliner that matched the seat upholstery. Usually, the headliner was a much lighter cloth (in color) and a solid color to boot. Usually light gray or light brown (taupe).

Frank

I doubt there are any factory patterns published anywhere. A headliner is a simple thing to tailor. Measure the roof on the inside, measure the distance between bows, and make the headliner a few inches oversize all the way around. Then trim off the excess material when you finish installing it.

You could easily make your own pattern and sew the headliner on a home sewing machine. Be sure to use nylon thread, cotton thread will deteriorate and fall apart after a few years in a car.

Restoration Specialties in PA supplies a line of headliners in original type fabrics and they do fit. The company that makes the liners also sends extra material for the sail panels(around the rear qtrs and rear window). I would recommend ordering a little extra material for the header panel (if present) and the sun visors. It usually take about 2 weeks to get and they should be reasonably priced. You also have an option to supply your own material and they will make the liner for you. If your car is stock I would recommend staying with the correct type and color of material. The liner ,usually a napped cotton,is the same material used to line the glove box in those cars. GIVE THEM A CALL AT 814-467-9842 Jim