Nickle Plating Removal

DavidAU

I am re-making the nickle plated brass windscreen frame on my Metallurgique and I want to use some of the original nickle plated sections but I will have to remove some of the plating so I can braise the corners together.

I know I could take it to a platers to have them stripped but I only have to remove a little bit at this stage so I tried soaking them in Hydrocloric acid ( Muriatic Acid) but that did not work and I have thought about sand blasting them. Has any one tried this or has any other ideas?

When it is finished I will take it to the platers and have it fully stripped and plated.

Google "electrolitic rust removal"... it is the process that the plater would use to strip old plating. Plating (adding material to the surface) is the same process with the polarity of the power source and anode switched.

Very cool Frank, thanks for that info!

I have many odds and ends for my brass cars I want to get the remains of the nickel off so I will get some acid and try it out. The nearest electro plater who could strip it is 200 miles away so this could be a very handy tip for me.

Regards

Gavin

Just spent the past hour googling "brass sulfuric acid and removing nickel from brass" etc....

After wading through lots of missinformation as normal this seemed to stand out as being from someone who knows what they are talking about and I found the same answer in more then one place.....

"The easiest way to remove nickel plating is with a fairly strong sulfuric acid solution, say 50% with about 5% of glycerine added as a fining agent."

Interesting.

Gavin

That is interesting. I will try it on the knock off wheel nuts when I get to them.

I tried sandblasting (red grit actually) the corners of my windscreen frame and it worked OK albeit a bit slow but it did the job as I only wanted to clean the nickel off for about an inch from the corner.

It is now braised up and joined the pile of stuff I am getting ready to be re-plated. Just hoping I win Lotto to pay for it all.