Antique printer's block 1920s Touring Car ID

Guest cuysan

Hello All,

Attempting to identify the auto pictured on the below printer's block. Original period block but our antique auto knowledge is limited at best. Searched Google and still confused. Any help would be appreciated. :) Since printer's blocks are made with a reverse reading, I have rotated the image to show as printed.

1920s-touring-car-1.jpg

edited picture size thanks to input from TheMoneyPit.

Edited by cuysan (see edit history)

Guest cuysan

Thanks TheMoneyPit,

Can't seem to find the maximum size requirement. But I did make the picture much smaller. Here's what I found on the FAQ:

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

Maybe I'm half asleep, but don't see the "attachment window". Here's the pic resized. Thanks in advance for any help. :)

1920s-touring-car-1.jpg

Guest cuysan

Thanks so much guys. It is definitely a Winton, probably around 1908? At least as far as I can see. I humbly apologize for my lack of auto knowledge. Guess we need to attend the Hershey Car show more often. Only 5 miles away......

Guest Rob McDonald

Here's a 12-cylinder 1918 Winton (factory-rebodied in 1922) that's being restored by the Reynolds Alberta Museum in Wetaskiwin, Alberta. It's a very different body style from the one on the printer's block. Leydan B and Terry Block are right - the front of the car is unique, with an unusually low and sporty radiator and hood.

Hey guys, how would you describe the body of the car "on the block"? Not a torpedo, not a Roi-des-Belges. Double phaeton, maybe? How about the RAM Winton - I'd go with torpedo/half landau, although I don't think the removable roof section folds down. Comments?

post-59990-143138917645_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143138917646_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143138917648_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob McDonald
second thought (see edit history)

1908, 1909 and maybe 1910 Wintons have front fenders that kick up at the front tip, the block does not show this feature. 1912 started front doors.

You can call this style body whatever you want but the only definitive authority would be Winton themselves as there was never an automotive industry set of rigid definitions. Classic case would be Ford. Tourings and Runabouts thru the Model T period but in 1928 the new Model A had a Phaeton and Roadster.

Guest Rob McDonald

Layden, sorry for almost starting another automotive myth - there are plenty enough to go around already. You are absolutely right, my brain jumped a track there. I confused the Winton, which has a big dual-ignition six, with the same museum's 1917 National AK-2 Highway 12 Sport Phaeton. Now that was a great model name for a car.

According to the RAM website, Winton also called this body style a Four Passenger Sport Phaeton. As you say, let's take the manufacturer's word for it.