Fuel additive question

414TATA

My son in law likes to use Red Line SI-1 as a fuel additive in his modern cars.

He gave me a bottle to try. I will try it in my 2010 4 cyl. and I am thinking of using some in my '41 with dual carbs.

I have been having some missing at idle and low speeds and just wanted to get an opinion here as: Should I use this in my 71 year old engine or not? (The carbs. were rebuilt less than a year ago) :confused:

Your feed back is appreciated.

Wayne

1941 Super 51

post-78086-143138908957_thumb.jpg

Guest Grant Magrath

Can't imagine it would do any more harm than your alcolhol fuel Wayne! Have you checked your valve lash lately? Could be the source of your miss.

Cheers

Grant

I had been a skeptic on the fuel stablizers except for storage. Recently I found that many lawn tractor and yard equipment manufacturers are stating in their literature that stabilizers should be used at all times if there is ethanol in the gas. I believe there is a real value in open carburated systems with possible old rubber components, diecast parts and open vented gas tanks in using a stabilizer.

I can't speak to the various brands, but I plan on using it on all my vehicles except my modern daily drivers. The New car literature does not suggest the use in their cars yet.

Bob

Wayne,

I would not tend to believe an "idle/ low speed" miss is due to fuel issues.

I would more likely believe it is ignition related. So how are your plugs, points, dist cap, wires ? All set right and in good shape ?

Just asking,

Mike in Colorado

I agree with Mike, ignition is the first suspect, then valve lash.

Fuel delivery issues usually occour on quick accellerations, hill climbing and/or high speed driving when higher demand for fuel delivery will cause intermittent cut out.

I only use two fuel additives in my cars.... Stabil for winter storage, and Marvel Mystery Oil for my older (pre 1916) cars to keep the valves from sticking. I keep a couple of airline booze bottles in the older cars and add one bottle with each 10+ gallon fill up.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

Guest outlaw car man
I keep a couple of airline booze bottles in the older cars and add one bottle with each 10+ gallon fill up.

Mark-

So every time you fill your car up with 10 gallons of gas, you drink a mini bottle of Scotch ? Does that help ???

HMMMM, might try that.

Sandy

Guest outlaw car man

yep, you betcha-

However I got the steering adjustment done yesterday ( what an event ) and took it out for a short run- Also, before you guys go there, got the Marvel acting like a carburator, been running perfect for about a month. Changed to a different needle and float setting completely different then the manuals call for and started using Marine StaBil.

Yes Mike, I have a working Marvel, even tho, I know you don't believe me ! HAA

My secret is fine American Lager, which I keep in a shop refrigerator. Works everytime.