49 chrysler windsor

Guest moparman53

Guest moparman53

i have a 49 chrysler windsor with the fluid drive semi automatic transmission worrded on for not shifting from either 1 to second or third to fourth when letting off the gas pedel, i all the switches and govenor parts are expensive to replace, can anyone give me advice for my mechanic on things to check on this, i have gotten prices on the govenor 250.00 dollars kick down switch 300.00 and interupter switch 50.00 and told being electrical they would be non returnable but are said to be all nos parts. can anyone help so i am not buying unessasay parts? are there any common problems with this to check first? i have only had this car a few months and never owed a fluid drive chrysler before, any adavice would be much appreciated.

Check out, Yahoos PWHM 46-48 Chrysler Auto Group, and P15-D24 Homepage .

You need to get a manual, and know what you need for this M6 trans, before you start spending time and money.

There are some Gentleman on both of the mentioned forums, who can answer questions and guide you with this task...

PS make sure your engine idle is around 450-500rpm, as is required to upshift. Check all the electrical connections to make sure they are not corroded and weak. Do you hear anything, when you let off the gas pedal, or is it silent and not upshifting?.....Good Luck

You should not need any new switches. They are reliable and trouble free. The only one that might give trouble is the governor and then only after 100,000 miles. The points get gummed up from oil fumes. The solution is to clean them with contact cleaner spray and drag a strip of white printer paper between them. Do not use a file or sandpaper, they are silver and rather soft.

For instructions on trouble shooting and fixing the transmission look here.

Transmission and Clutch Repair Information for Imperials and Chrysler Imperials