Help with Timken #

rowan782

My dad bought a homemade small trailer in the late '70's, has a solid axle under it (automotive) with Chrysler hubcaps, I need to replace the bigger bearing, it is a Timken tapered roller bearing. The only number I can make out is 14230 (cup is 14274). Local parts house can get the cup but not the cone -14230. Anyone have a lead? (Old parts book to them is from the 1970's).

Rowan You don't say what parts store you went to. Many of the new auto stores don't carry a large line of bearings. You should check with a regular bearing house in your area and they should be able to supply them. They should also be able to cross reference to other brands if that bearing really is discontinued. Many times older bearings have been given new numbers. If you take the bearings direct to the bearing house they should be able to match the sizes to something they have that will work. Some bearings are only sold in sets,1 cup-1 brg. so certain numbers will not be available separately. If you still have trouble maybe I can get someone at my old store to cross the numbers,if I can remember I'll check. Jim

Guest bofusmosby

Jim

Can a bearing 'house' usually match up any bearings? On my Pontiac, I am in need of all the front bearings, but the old car places want an arm and a leg for them. Any thoughts?

Jim Yes , a good bearing house should be able to cross any numbers that are on your bearings or be able to match them with sizes. It's best if you can find a local place and go in person, and take the bearings with you. Many of the old bearings are still in production but may have new numbers or may have updates like shields or sealed covers. Even a heavy duty truck supply company should have access to all the types through their distributors,if you can find someone knowledgable and kind enough to hunt them down. Unfortunately,there are some that are out of production that you will have to buy from the obsolete dealers. I may be able to get access to some old Timken guides and reference books through my old company . On most roller brgs. you should be able to find the original OEM numbers stamped on them. There should be some industrial houses in your area. Good Luck! JIm

Rowan, I did some checking and it seems that no.14230 is a bad number. Could it be a no. 14130? This no. is listed with cup 14274 with a bore size of 1.312. Other numbers are listed to use with cup 14274 all with different bore sizes. See if you can measure the bore of the brg. you have and let me know. The bore is the center hole and can be measured in inches or millimeters. Thanks Jim

Guest bofusmosby

Jim, the bearings on my car are the 'ball' bearing type, not the roller type. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Also, can ball bearings be replaced with the roller bearing type, if they are the same size?

Guest bofusmosby

Jim

These are the inner and outer bearings for the front wheels on my 37 Pontiac. I repacked then a coupe years ago, and I believe that both are of the ball bearing type. However, if I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet on my memory.:D

If they are ball brgs. how are they adjusted. Usually roller brgs. are adjusted with the axle nut. Can you get some photos or are they still in the car. I've seen ball brgs on rear axles but not on fronts. I could be wrong. Roller brgs. are also taperd ,ball type are not. See if you can get some numbers. I was just checking my Motor's Manual and it has a very small faint cutaway of the front hubs and it does look like they might be ball brgs. There still should be numbers engraved on the outer case and you should be able to find something.

Edited by jpage
More info (see edit history)

Guest bofusmosby

Rowan782

I spoke to NAPA today, and they told me (before I got the part numbers) that if I bring in the old bearings, they might be able to match them up, don't know about the cone though.

Jim, These bearings of mine are still on the car, and I need to drive the old car to the garage this Saturday, so I can't get any photos of them right now. These are definitely ball bearings, and they are adjusted the same as the roller bearings, with the nut. However, with the ball bearings, I believe that the nut isn't snugged up quite as much as the roller bearings are.

I found that NAPA does carry them, but I think I'd have to take out a second mortgage on my house to pay for them.:eek:

Just for my knowledge are they in separate parts(cup,cone)or are they 1 piece? Looks like they were pretty much limited to GM products as the other makes seem to have roller brgs. I'm not familiar with early GM units.

Guest bofusmosby

Jim

The GM part numbers referred the bearings (originally) as a 3 piece set for each. I know that California Pontiac Restoration lists the bearings also as a 3 piece set.

Restore32

I had checked with a couple different bearing places yesterday, and they told me that they didn't believe they would have what I needed, and they recommended me to check with a place like NAPA.