1952 sheet metal

retirednow

Hi all, I have a 1952 Buick Super Convertible. the floor/trunk pans are completely gone. At this point, I'm looking for a 2 door donor car. Are roadmaster or special floorpan/trunkpan interchangeable w/ the super? Thanks much!

On my 47 convertible, the floor pans are similar back to the rear seat on a 76S car. Then they are different. But, the section over the rear and the trunk are the same. It's deceiving because the trunk section is different and the doors on the 2 door sedan are longer. But, it will work. Hopefully it's the same with a 52. Matt:)

I have run across a few 52 2 door hardtops, and I would think the floors are the same as your convertible. There are gussets at the front door pillars, at the floor level, and at the rear of the doors. A 4 door wouldn't be the same, but you may find the floors are very close except for the gussets.

I restore Woodies of the era, and they also have these gussets at the front, and are usually rotted away, as are the floors.

Keep in mind, after you are done repairing the rusted out floors, they are completely covered, and only seen from below...so much work, hidden!! LOL

So, if a 4 door is close, you can make it work.

The gussets can be made, I had several sets done reasonably, and they look really good, and work well.

Good luck with your project, and I hope you keep us all informed.

Cheers, Mike

Thanks for all of your responses. Pete, that's the answer I was looking for. Mike, I was thinking about bidding on that 2 door that you had on e-Bay a couple of weeks ago, but it would've been easier to carry it on my back from California to New York than to pay the shipping!! You guys are great. I'm joining BCA today! PS, Mike-awesome job on those woodies-My favorite years BTW!! On edit, I just joined BCA!!

Edited by retirednow (see edit history)

I find the same thing. The wagons don't have the spare tire well, on the right side, so when I find a sedan well, I have to fabricate the level floor over where the well is. Not an easy task!!

I took a wagon well, that I had carefully cut out of a bad wagon, to the sandblaster just a couple of weeks ago. It was peppered with holes all over, and he barely touched it!!

Back to the drawing board!!

I happened to have a sedan one, so I took it to him, and it came out well, but I have to deal with the tire well.

Just the fun of the job!!

And, nobody said it would be easy, right??

The pictures show the bad rear section to be repaired on the wagon, then the bad well, then the good well.

I will probably use some of the bad well to fill in the tire well on the good one.

Cheers, Mike

post-79354-143138897944_thumb.jpg

post-79354-143138897952_thumb.jpg

post-79354-14313889796_thumb.jpg