when were sealbeam headlight aiming teats first used

Guest cargray

Guest cargray

I was wondering if anyone knew when the "aiming teats" were first used on the 7in. round sealedbeam headlights? I Know the 6 volts in the 40s did not have them, but some early 12 volt didnt either.. Thanks ,,RD

That was part of the "T-3" headlights, which I believe first came out about 1957. They were there to facilitate the use of the more modern "attachable headlight aiming device" rather than the "roll-around" aimer more commonly used (and mis-used). This gave the airmer a solid reference point to work from and could be used anywhere, not requiring a long, level surface for the car to be on.

I believe all of the T-3 headlights (I don't recall if there was one specific headlight manufacturer which used this innovation or not) had them, as other brands seemed to adopt their use later on. Perhaps I'm not correct in this, but it seems like California was one of the states which required the "clamp-on" aiming devices? With the more common roll-around units, it took a good while to get the unit set up and calibrated, THEN the light beam's checked and adjusted. Even the most competent operator could end up with the lights aimed "somewhere other than where they needed to be" every now and then. Getting the set-up of just a small amount could make a big difference in where the lights were aimed!

Just some recollections,

NTX5467

So would points be deducted if a 1946 model car had 6V sealbeams with the aiming tips?

Thanks for the input, RD

You'll probably need to consult the judging manual for the organization you desire to show your vehicle with. Some groups demand exact originality and others might not be quite so intense in their judging orientation/rules.

I suspect that your headlights are probably NOT originals, so if one company in the aftermarket started doing the aiming tabs on all of their replacement headlights, back when 6V lights were common, so be it. I'd be more concerned, personally, about them being a matched pair rather than two different ones/brands . . . one with the pads and the other one without the pads. To me, as long as they are a matched pair, few people might stop to notice . . . unless they knew exactly what they were looking at or were comparing one car to another car.

Perhaps some others might know more about the aiming tabs on headlights back then? If they were used on 6V lamps, I'd be interested in expanding my knowledge in that area.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest Jim_Edwards

Well gang, sealed beam headlamps came into being in the late 1930s and the 7" variety became an industry standard shortly thereafter. As for the three teats on the bulb, they have absolutely nothing to do with actual aiming, but they do serve as locators for placing the bulb in the proper position for aiming adjustment.

It might be the determination as to when the three teats appeared would best come from examination of the mountings of sealed beam headlights from the git go. I suspect they always had the three locating teats.

As for Guide Seal Beam Headlights -

Guide introduced the sealed beam headlight in 1940. The light was of composite construction with a metal reflector, a conventional light bulb (soldered in place), and a lens. This assembly of parts was sealed together by gluing the lens to the metal reflector. This construction was used until about 1950, when the all glass construction was introduced. As mentioned by another person, the alignment tabs were added in 1957. NOS headlights without the alignment tabs show up from time-to-time on eBay

Grandpa

post-52807-143138864988_thumb.jpg

post-52807-143138864995_thumb.jpg

post-52807-143138864999_thumb.jpg