'68 Riv oil sending unit

Guest MikeJ

Is the '68 and '69 Riv oil sending unit the same?

Yesterday I started the my Riv and after 30 seconds the oil light came on. I believe the pump is working because you can hear the oil draining in the pan after the motor is shut off and when I looked into the valve cover everything seems to be covered in oil. So I am assuming it is the oil pressure sending unit. I went to Oriely's and they said they don't have it and it is not availible. I went to Auto Zone and they told me they didn't show it either but they showed one for a '69 that they could order. I would think the '69 would be the same as the '68 but wanted to make sure before they ordered it.

thanks for anyones help.

mike

I'm not 100% positive, but they should be the same - both the '68 and '69 used the 430 motor. Also both '68 and '69 had the oil "dummy light" in the dash, it's not like '68 used a guage and '69 had the light. You have to go back to '67 (the only other year for the 430) for a factory oil pressure guage.

Perhaps someone else who's been down this road before can say for sure.

Thanks for eveyones help. Unfortunatly we don't have Advance Auto Parts in the Dallas area.

I am going to go back to Oriely's because I tried looking it up on the website again and found it. They even say it is availible in the store. I am not sure how the sales clerk tried to look it up because she could not find it. From the pictures, the '69 and '68 look different. I looked it up on the Auto Zone site and they only show it with 3 electrical prongs not the single prong.

Thanks again for your help.

Mike

ROA #10935

The '69 & '70 Rivieras use an electric fuel pump in the tank that is switched off of the oil pressure sending unit. That is why it has the extra prongs.

I would think a sending unit from any other year of 430 or 455 would work though.

Good posting Dale, I was about to attempt to explain the difference !!

• 1 month later...
Guest RivyRob

And the difference between the '68 and '70 up is it has a larger shaft that screws into the block. the '68 is about a 3/8" shaft and the '70 &up is about a 7/16" shaft. I can get a '68 (new) here if you need it.

Edited by RivyRob (see edit history)