What to do about the hard plastic interior pieces

Guest rivullac

If your original parts are not suitable, good 'used' is probably your best bet.

Not sure if the seat backs are repro'd, but others here may know a specific source. Faded hard plastic parts in good condition can be repainted ( ...with special paint), to match your interior color and restore that 'like new' look.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

Guest rivullac

They are 71, It was suggested to find mid 70`s Monte Carlo seat backs but not sure if it`s a match...i asked about re-painting but they also said that it would still crumble and scratch off easy..and it`s not just the seat backs but the pillar covers and rear lower panels as well...have not found any one who re-pops this stuff

I haven't had a '71 Monte Carlo in about 15 years, but these do look the same to me. Call Year One. I agree that most if not all GM bucket backs are the same arross Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Chevrolet as long as you stay within the year. Email a picture to Year One. Bet they can help.

Guest REX STALLION

I have repaired similar plastic on a Chevy Pick -up. I`m thinking no UV inhibitor was used in the manufacture. Anyway,if you want to paint them they can be repaired using WEST System Epoxy and micro light fairing additive. It is a common marine product ,sands well and accepts finishes well and will bond to the plastic where polyester (bondo) will not.

Guest DRM500RUBYZR1

I have exact same problem with my 70. Your picture could be mine.

The rest of the interior is perfect, which makes the crumbling even more of a PITA.

Found these, but thye are not the "soft" ones like our crumbling ones, but just might be the only replacements available.

1969-1972 Riviera - Seatback Kits, Premium - Custom-manufactured for OPGI Available in a c - White (C982WH) | Interior Trim | OPGI.com

Still searching!

Marty

Guest DRM500RUBYZR1

Finally had some time to look at those seatback pieces more carefully.

What I thought to be softer more cushion like plastic, is ( or once was) as the original poster said, hard plastic. As others mentioned, it must have lacked something that led to the crumbling as it aged.

Having confirmed that they were inded once hard plastic, the ones on the link in my earlier post should indeed be correct. I imagine the upholstered center pad on the cover can be removed and installed on the new seatbacks.

The kit with trim and release buttons seems an inexpensive fix, I just hope the white matches the pearl white of the car. Even if not, it will be good to stop the mess that happens anytime you just touch those seatbacks.

Some other projects ahead in the que, but this one is now being added to the list.

Marty

Guest DRM500RUBYZR1
If the repop parts do not have the pearl finish, then you can have some SEM vinyl clear coat mixed with some pearl added to it. They may even make the the pearl finish clear pre-mixed. Year One also carries the vinyl dye and pearl clear.

Thanks much for that tip!!!

:)

Marty

Guest DRM500RUBYZR1

Many thanks to all for your help!

It is appreciated!

Just bought some rechromed and painted styled steel wheels, which I always wanted on that Riv since we, actually Mom and Dad, brought it home on 01-27-70,and 43,000 miles ago. Although the finned deluxe covers as shared with the Vettes look really nice, I want to see how the Seamist Green looks with the chrome wheels.

So centers, retainers, emblems and tires are next on the list, then those pesky seat backs.

Thanks again for helping me track down some difft approaches to solve this seat issue.

:)

Marty