Champagne Mist with Black Cloth/Vinyl Interior. Opinions? Pics.

Guest Rob J

OK, I've finally decided that I'm repainting my originally white 65 Riv to Champagne Mist. I really like that color. Car presently has a Dark Green interior that needs work anyhow, so most likely I'll be doing a color change on it as well, as I'm not sure how Dark Green would look with a Champagne Mist exterior. I'm leaning towards Black Cloth/Vinyl, as I think the cloth will be more comfortable than the all vinyl. Black also seems to be the easiest color when it comes to re-dying the dash, door panels. My dash pad really is in great shape, so there is no need for me to have it recovered. Obviously all the seats will get recovered with Clarks's covers, and a new headliner will be installed. If I go black, then I'll go with a Silver headliner as it was originally.

Most Champagne Mist cars I've seen have the Saddle interior, and it looks real nice. However if I go that route, I really think I'd need to have the door panels, and dash recovered to get the desired results. So, opinions please. What would be your preferred interior color and material of choice with a Champagne Mist exterior.

BTW, I also really like the Fawn Cloth/Vinyl interior. But, again, it will require recovering all the door panels, dash, ect.

Thanks.

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

Guest bigoldv8

I would bet that SEM Colorcoat would work to go from dark green to Saddle. You could always try it on something you're going to recover anyway and see how it looks? It's truly up to you but I think it would look good either way.

Champagne Mist with white is very striking, especially when you blend in the proper deep rich walnut color of the wood accents and a wood wheel. The white or any light color will bring the Champagne "up" whereas a dark interior color like black will bring the Champagne color "down". The Fawn cloth/vinyl and the Saddle interiors are beautiful in themselves but dont offer much contrast to the Champagne exterior. However, both of those combinations are very, very BUICK....or as my wife put it, like a huge bowl of butterscotch pudding.

At the Klammath Falls show there was a `65 GS, Champagne exterior, saddle custom interior with a black factory vinyl top. Sounds horrid but the black top acted as a nice contrast to both interior and exterior.

At this point I wouldn`t worry about spending a few extra hundred to get the most impressive combination after all is spent and done...you`ll be buried into the car for $$$ or your time or both no matter which color you choose. Considering the work/money you are investing what`s a couple of hundred bucks?

Just another opinion...

Tom Mooney

Champagne Mist with white is very striking, especially when you blend in the proper deep rich walnut color of the wood accents and a wood wheel. The white or any light color will bring the Champagne "up" whereas a dark interior color like black will bring the Champagne color "down". The Fawn cloth/vinyl and the Saddle interiors are beautiful in themselves but dont offer much contrast to the Champagne exterior. However, both of those combinations are very, very BUICK....or as my wife put it, like a huge bowl of butterscotch pudding.

At the Klammath Falls show there was a `65 GS, Champagne exterior, saddle custom interior with a black factory vinyl top. Sounds horrid but the black top acted as a nice contrast to both interior and exterior.

At this point I wouldn`t worry about spending a few extra hundred to get the most impressive combination after all is spent and done...you`ll be buried into the car for $$$ or your time or both no matter which color you choose. Considering the work/money you are investing what`s a couple of hundred bucks?

Just another opinion...

Tom Mooney

Hello everyone.............

Just picked up a 64 Riviera factory 2X4 car, numbers matching, custom interior, very well optioned, with saddle interior.

The exterior color is yellow..........starburst yellow? Any thoughts of an alternative exterior Riviera color? I have yet to clean the car, it has been sitting for awhile........it may grow on me.

Thanks,

Marty

Hello all......................

Another question.

Since I have the saddle custom interior in my 64 Riviera, any considerations on

"wood" color?

My 65 Riviera with dark green interior looks fantastic with the stock wood kit. It would appear that the saddle interior would not be a sharp contrast with the wood kit.

Did Buick use different color "woods" with varying interior colors?

Thank you,

Marty

No variations in the wood within any given year. There may have been some differentiation from year to year, but not within a model year. As was pointed out above, colors will take on different hues depending on what they're next to when being viewed.

A yellow '64 won Best of Show at the ROA event in PA in 2010.

Ed

I had a Champagne Mist/Saddle Tan '65 Gran Sport that I color changed to Burgundy Mist. As Tom mentioned above, the Champagne/Saddle combination just does not have enough contrast and does not "pop." Champagne Mist is a gorgeous color, and in my opinion would look good with fawn, black or white. The white idea really intrigues me as both my '64 and '65 have white interiors which I love on these first generation cars... Never seen a Champagne Mist/White car but I be it would be cool! :cool:

I think I'll most likely just bite the bullet and go with the Fawn Cloth/Vinyl interior. Ironically my parts car was that exact same color combo. It's just so far gone, that there is not much left to really appreciate it. But, I think this color combo will make for one very nice car when complete. I hope to have it done within a year's time. We'll see. It's going off to the blaster, then paint in the next month hopefully. I'll start a thread on it once it's back from the blaster and epoxy primed.

OK, now, what color carpet and headliner came with the stock Fawn/Cloth Custom interior?

I'm looking in Clark's catalog, and am not sure. I'd like to stick with the original style carpet, and an original style headliner material. I'm assuming the beige headliner, but not sure? On the 80/20 carpet, the only one listed in Clark's catalog that logically makes sense would be the Medium Saddle. I guess I'll have to order some samples.

Headliner should be a light tan off white. Carpeting is medium tan gold. Lean toward something that has a slightly metallic look which will compliment the shimmer from the cloth and vinyl.

I'm apprehensive there will not be enough contrast with a champagne exterior. White exterior really contrasts well with this interior and brings out the rich elegant nature of the materials.

One of my former cars in this combo showed up at the GAlena meet. Perhaps someone has a few pics. If not, Galen Shields car, before he customized it, was this combo.

Tom Mooney

Thanks for the input Tom. Here's a pic of Champagne Mist Exterior, and Fawn Interior.

riv1965fawncloth.jpg

1965buickrivieragsdwf.jpg

405306-22.jpg

riv1965fawncloth.jpg

I know there isn't much contrast with the Champagne Mist Exterior, but I really am digging this combo, and feel the dark wood really is the key to accent the contrast. Without the wood, yes, it would be too much of the same. I agree that white exterior would look great with the Fawn interior as well. I've still got a couple of months to decide. Car is almost completely torn down, and will be headed to the media blasters is about 3 weeks or so, then body work, ect.

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)