HPOF Original Evaluation Judging.

msmazcol

No real details in the Official Judging Guidelines as to how Original cars will be evaluated. I see it working much like National Awards where a team of very experienced and knowledgeable judges make the determination. It looks like you can show a car in HPOF then when you get the HPOF certification you can be evaluated for the Original certification at the next meet where your car is shown. If you don't receive the Original certification you can appeal to the VP of Class Judging. Obviously if you don't get the cert there is nothing you can do to make the car more original, though I suppose you might search out more documentation.

Based on the evaluation sheet, the Original needs to have more areas of originality than the HPOF criterial. The evaluation sheet is available on this site in the 2012 Judges Manual. The older the car the less difference between the HPOF and HPOF Original.

The HPOF/AACA Original form is on page 52 of the 2012 Judging Manual, and is easy to print out.

Original cars still have to "point up," but like 61p said, they're held to a higher degree of originality;

a 1931-'59 car needs 23-30 points to achieve HPOF, and to achieve Original it needs 27-30.

I'm extremely thankful for HPOF and this new Original Cert., (and for DPC, too). But I've long had an

issue that a car with a fresh, entire repaint can qualify as HPOF; I know it's a matter of percentages,

so save the tutorials. It's going to be great to see the caliber of cars that achieve the trademarked "AACA Original."

:)

TG

It's on page 48 of the actual paper judging manual. It's more of a check off than a "points" thing. Features will be certified as original or not. There are no gradations of original, either it is or it isn't. The items certified as original are then added up to determine the degree of compliance and the award given accordingly. I think it's a great idea. I am still a bit unclear on whether "Original" means "original and in near factory condition" or "original but possibly deteriorated". The manual only says "essentially as delivered". By my reading a totally repainted car would lose 4 "points" so could still possibly qualify as Original if 1930 or earlier but not if newer.

It's on page 48 of the actual paper judging manual. It's more of a check off than a "points" thing. Features will be certified as original or not. There are no gradations of original, either it is or it isn't. The items certified as original are then added up to determine the degree of compliance and the award given accordingly. I think it's a great idea. I am still a bit unclear on whether "Original" means "original and in near factory condition" or "original but possibly deteriorated". The manual only says "essentially as delivered". By my reading a totally repainted car would lose 4 "points" so could still possibly qualify as Original if 1930 or earlier but not if newer.

Thank you, I had printed up this page a couple weeks back when I first asked about this. What I was trying to figure out is the meaning of the word original. If I have a car that is basically untouched, but, it has had belts, hoses, and tires installed over the years can it make the grade? The era is 1969. What I'm trying to define is how the word original will be defined? The car does already have an HPOF award.

Guest Stonefish

Still don't understand why any car that would fit into the definition as an original, that is in the "regular" class judging, couldn't also be "certified" as an AACA original.

And it isn't about "having cake and eating it too"...it's more like recognizing a "duck is a duck" and what is wrong with that?