Kelsey Hayes Rim Tool

farrellg

I just found out what the holes were for in my 1931 DB Express truck rims over on the Model T site were I found these pictures. I would like to try and reproduce this tool. Does anyone have one that would be willing to share dimensions? I dont think this will be hard to do. Thanks.

post-69599-143138831896_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143138831897_thumb.jpg

post-69599-1431388319_thumb.jpg

Jason, I have used a standard rim jack on my rims. However, never really fit right with the rings on the inside of the rim. Always wondered what the holes had been for. This makes real sense. Seems like this tool would make collapsing the rim a bit easier and equal. However, looks like it could be a finger pincher if not careful. I am going to try to make one, but wondered, if someone had one that they could dimension for me, would take away some of the trial and error. Lets hope someone on the forum has one to share measurements.

Thanks again for posting, if you had asked me about the holes I prob. would not have had much to say but now that you posted the pictures it is all too clear.

I would try and get one of the A guys to give a hand. Chances are pretty slim you would find one here.

Working that angle too. But same boat over there. From what I can make out in the forum, they labled these type rims with the holes as Canadian type. Not idea if that is right or not. Pictures came from somewhere, but have yet to find the source. Most, like me, found in the forum and reposted. Ill keep trying. I agree with the other posters though, if one had seen this tool in a box, would have passed it over. No marking and hard to figure out what it might have been for.

Thanks again for posting, if you had asked me about the holes I prob. would not have had much to say but now that you posted the pictures it is all too clear.

I would try and get one of the A guys to give a hand. Chances are pretty slim you would find one here.

Just to clarify...if you were meaning "Model A Ford" when you said "A guys", that won't work since the Model A rims do not expand or shrink.

Just to clarify...if you were meaning "Model A Ford" when you said "A guys", that won't work since the Model A rims do not expand or shrink.

Meant to say T but I did not know that about A rims so glad to have made the mistake, thanks