My 65 Gran Sport

Guest rsmalling

Guest rsmalling

Hi all!

Just wanted to post a few pics of my Rivi. Ive had since the mid 80's always been a good driver. Ive kept up on the regular maint. and what not. Just rejoined the ROA today! :D

Painted and int a few years back.

Rob

buickcarbs002.jpgbuickcarbs002.jpg

a%3E

65BuickGranSport011.jpg65BuickGranSport007.jpg

a%3E

Very Nice! Is that the Fawn interior? Looks like Champagne Mist exterior as well, correct? I've decided to repaint my white car under restoration to Champagne Mist. Still not sure of the interior as it is originally Dark Green, but am in the thought process of a color change on the interior as well.

Guest rsmalling

Thanks Rob

yes it is the Champagne Mist. I went with the cloth on the seats. I wasnt going for absolute correctness. I just wanted what I wanted as far as the interior. It has modern carpet as well.

65BuickGranSport008.jpg

Edited by rsmalling (see edit history)

Welcome back to ROA Rob. Besides being in great shape that looks like a nicely optioned car as well.

i really like the look of the armrest - part of the deluxe trim ?

my 65 just has the standard trim, just the horizontal armrests and small oblong wooden insert. just looking at that has got me psyched to install my new carpets ASAP after they arrive this month.

get her nice and clean like a new car....

Welcome back to the ROA Rob. A very nice GS and as Jason says highly optioned similar to mine which I'm restoring at the moment. I notice the "R" logo is missing from the door panels. I'm restoring my door panels at the moment and wondering how to best put the "R" logos back on because I had to grind the posts on the back to get them off. Glue I guess will do the t rick. Progress pictures here: Tony's 65 Riviera Project

Guest rsmalling
i really like the look of the armrest - part of the deluxe trim ?

my 65 just has the standard trim, just the horizontal armrests and small oblong wooden insert. just looking at that has got me psyched to install my new carpets ASAP after they arrive this month.

get her nice and clean like a new car....

My plastic armrests were in pretty bad shape, cracked and what not, so I repaired them and got em to where they were sound. Then I had the shop that did the interior work cover them to match the door panels. They really came out slick. The door panels on my car had to be completely rebuilt. also the dashpad was cracking and looked like hell, so I had them recover that as well to match the rest of the interior. And it looks great IMHO as well.

Guest rsmalling
Welcome back to the ROA Rob. A very nice GS and as Jason says highly optioned similar to mine which I'm restoring at the moment. I notice the "R" logo is missing from the door panels. I'm restoring my door panels at the moment and wondering how to best put the "R" logos back on because I had to grind the posts on the back to get them off. Glue I guess will do the t rick. Progress pictures here: Tony's 65 Riviera Project

yeah good eye, I knew someone would spot my missing R's hahahah

I have em but havent really thought too much about putting them back on, I guess ill have to think on that and get it done.

Great build you got there Tony! I really enjoyed your photos!

Edited by rsmalling (see edit history)

Guest rsmalling

I got some felt today to fix my AC Ball vents. Doesnt look too tuff.

Do any of you know how to get the center steering wheel trim off so can remove my steering wheel? I think it should pull off, but I dont want to damage it.

Thanks for any help.

rls

I got some felt today to fix my AC Ball vents. Doesnt look too tuff.

Do any of you know how to get the center steering wheel trim off so can remove my steering wheel? I think it should pull off, but I dont want to damage it.

Thanks for any help.

rls

There are screws behind the wheel that will loosen the horn bar, allowing you to remove it, and gain access to the main nut that holds the wheel to the column. Do not pull on the horn bar. Also, disconnect the wire that goes to your hour relay in the engine compartment, because when you remove that trim, the horn will sound.

Guest rsmalling
There are screws behind the wheel that will loosen the horn bar, allowing you to remove it, and gain access to the main nut that holds the wheel to the column. Do not pull on the horn bar. Also, disconnect the wire that goes to your hour relay in the engine compartment, because when you remove that trim, the horn will sound.

Thanks Rob,

Ive looked at that wheel several times and never thought about those screws being internal like that. Thanks for the info man, I appreciate it.

now, thanks to all you buick heads here on this great forum, I have renewed my interest in getting the last few details taken care of on my Riviera. So I will be more of a regular poster Im sure.

Now I'm focusing on the ball vent felts. Getting the correct thickness is of course the key here. Ill be sure to post my findings as I continue with this.

rls :cool:

Glad to help. My knowledge is still limited on these cars, but the more I work on the two that I own, the more I really like these cars, and wonder why I never noticed them years ago. They really are cool, well engineered cars, and stand out in the crowd. We certainly need more activity on this forum, so please, stay active, post lots of pics, and enjoy.

Rob.

Guest rsmalling

I can do that Rob! These cars are a little different in many ways to work on. I have been self employed auto repair shop guy for my whole life, im 55 now, and everyday I learn something new and interesting. So Ive seen lots of stuff, but I still have questions! Many!

rls