Looking for a good radiator shop in Detroit Area

1957buickjim

I need to get my radiator checked out and the last guy I had do it did a 2nd rate job, but I didn't know any better at the time (15+ years ago), but now that I am in the throes of truly storing it, I would like some recommedations of any of the memebers in the Detroit area who have had success with a local shop and understands keeping it original. Thanks.

I just dropped off my '63 Riv radiator at Al's Radiator (Flint/Grand Blanc) yesterday, for a re-core. They did my '78 F150 radiator in the mid-90's and I was happy with the work. Today, the grandson of "Al" now owns the place. I'll report back when the work is complete.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my radiator back this morning. Very pleased with the work. I decided to spend the extra $60 to have a custom core built for high-efficiency cooling. They put 30% more tubes in the core to give it extra cooling capacity. Yes, it took 2 weeks, but it was worth the wait-- wasn't driving it in the winter anyway so it didn't matter.

Of course Al's does more than just radiator work. I quizzed them today about getting some brake work done. I'll take the car in sometime this spring for that.

post-65039-143138842582_thumb.jpg

Chuck, looks great! If I may ask, I have a few questions:

1 - what did you initially have the radiator in for?

2 - Were the top and bottom tanks dented, and if so did they repair them, i.e., bring them back into shape? I do need that with my radiator.

3 - What was the cost of having it done?

You can PM me if you like or post on the forum. I am very impressed with what I see from your photo of your radiator. And 2 weeks is really good timing in my book! I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks for the reply!

Jim, The radiator was leaking. I knew that I would only re-core it going in, so a repair wasn't going to happen with me. They did test it and found the leak is at the top plate where the tubes solder in. They also said that some tubes were plugged. To do a cleaning, rodding out and re-solder the top plate, the cost would be around $250. But they said that was a tricky route to take because if the metal was brittle or bad I would need to re-core. Again, knowing that I would only re-core it we moved on to that quickly. The only decision I had to make was on the high-efficiency option.

Yes, the bottom tank was dented up a bit from some PO damage but I never noticed them when I pulled it out :mad:. There was also damage to the cross member below the rad (see pic), which looks like someone backed out and caught something bending the cross member down (or used a tow hook in the wrong spot). If I had seen the dents in the tank I would have inquired about getting them fixed, but since that didn't happen the dents are still in place. You will need to inquire about that.

The total cost was higher than a repop, but those are made in China and are junk anyway. U.S. Radiator would have been about the same cost that I spent, when you factor in shipping. A new aluminum radiator would have been more than I plunked down. With any of those options, though, my original Harrison tanks would be gone, so the re-core was the best. My cost was $667, a lot no matter how you slice and dice it, but I believe that was the best choice. I also replaced the rubber cushions, using the repos from Rubber The Right Way. They fit perfectly.

Each rad is different, so the cost can change from unit to unit. Please keep that in mind. I blew my budget already for the year and yet the car show season hasn't even begun! :eek:

post-65039-143138842614_thumb.jpg

Edited by CheezeMan (see edit history)

Chuck, thanks for the detailed explanation. I bought a extra radiator that does not leak, or so I'm told (very credible source though!) and I would like to have the radiator tested and cleaned, stripped and rodded out if it needs it. If they can fix the dents in it, that would be great, even if they could straighten it out 85 - 90%. If not, I can try to fix it, per some posts on forum. I am hoping that they could keep it in your original budget. I hope not to need a recore on it. I am trying to restore it to put in my vehicle for show.