Gen'l Pershing & DBs in Mexico

Steve Suttle

Just for fun, here's the story of a recent encounter.

I had my '24 roadster out for a spin, walking the dog in a local park here in New Mexico. An older gentlemen (c. 75 to 80) approached me with a big grin and proceeded to tell me quite a tale.

He related that when a lad in Mexico (and I'm sorry, I forgot the name of his village), he and his friends used to play in and around Dodge Brothers touring cars left behind by Gen. Pershing's troops after our intervention in the Mexican Revolution in 1916. He also said there was a man in the village who had stripped parts and even sold complete cars. This must have been in the 1930s, best I can tell.

Anyone else heard this tale?

I hope to run into him again and maybe actually interview him for an article in the Club News.

Guest 40fordjim

Steve,

I can find that General Pershing took 6 Dodge Touring cars on that Punitive Expedition and many trucks of various makes. I can find no record of what, if any, were left behind. At one point Pershing rented a Dodge touring car while there. Pancho Villa was also a "Dodge Man" and used them on occasion.

Jim Pershing

Yes, Pancho was a Dodge Brothers man, he was even assassinated in one!

This from the 'net:

"While driving back through the city in his black 1919 Dodge roadster, Villa passed by a school and a vendor ran toward Villa's car and shouted Viva Villa! a signal for a group of seven riflemen who then appeared in the middle of the road and fired over 40 shots into the automobile.<sup id="cite_ref-VnZ_43-0" class="reference"></sup> In the fusillade of shots, Villa was hit by 9 bullets in his head and upper chest, killing him instantly."

As for my friend's tale, I'm sure there were plenty of Dodges in Mexico that weren't left behind by Pershing. It may be an urban legend from his village that they belonged to the U.S. Army.

Here's a returning (I hope) Doughboy with his best girl in a DB labeled Official Business Only - U.S. Army

post-73194-143138821888_thumb.jpg

Wiki had this photo of the Villa death car.

Hmmm, looks like a nice straight car.

I wonder if it's for sale . . . .

The Henry Ford wins, however.

They have the chair Lincoln was killed in and the Lincoln that

Kennedy was assassinated in (later updated with bullet-proof

glass and body by LBJ)

post-73194-143138821891_thumb.jpg

"While driving back through the city in his black 1919 Dodge roadster, Villa passed by a school and a vendor ran toward Villa's car and shouted Viva Villa! a signal for a group of seven riflemen who then appeared in the middle of the road and fired over 40 shots into the automobile. In the fusillade of shots, Villa was hit by 9 bullets in his head and upper chest, killing him instantly."

Sounds like the same sort of thing they did to Bonnie and Clyde!!

But they probably did it earlier.

Manuel in Oz