Weymann Body

DavidAU

A question for the wooden frame coach builders on this forum.

I am interested to know your thoughts on the remaking of a wooden frame for a metal clad Weymann system sedan body.

Considering the roads today are much smoother than the old rough dirt roads these cars were built for, would you use the original type metal fixings where the timber joints are made to allow the frame to flex and move without squeeking or would you consider building the frame with locked together joints, glued and screwed and reinforced with metal and or ply gussets to ensure the frame is ridgid and cannot flex.

Thanks

I think it depends on your disposition towards originality and pocketbook. Also what the car is. A more valuable car would probably necessitate originality, while a lesser valued car I would argue for more efficiency. I'm thinking saving money is probably not sticking with the Weymann frame system.

Thanks Alsancle

The cost is not a consideration and the car is quite valuable. (1931 Rolls-Royce P2 Continental)

My thinking regarding the frame which is not seen, is a bit like how older engines are being built using modern internals like aluminium pistons etc to improve performance and longevity while still appearing absolutely original on the outside.

As the early Weymann bodies were fabric covered, this allowed for flex in the frame without effecting the skin but the later metal clad ones appear to have still used the same type of flexible frame connectors and the aluminium panels and their fixings have deteriorated with age and body movement. (nails popped and panels split)

Our quandry is to either build it again as original or to maybe make the frame as stiff as possible to try to stop this happening in the future and hopefully it will last for a long long time as a driver because as hard as it is to get old style craftsman work done now, I believe it will be nearly impossible in years to come.

The very best coachbuilding shops today seem to be placing aliminum panels inbetween the wood body supports, then placing padding over the wood and panels to give the fit and finish of the factory, but with a tighter body, and no chance of a faberic puncture of the car. Talk to the WO Bently guys, or PM me and I can give you the name of a restoration shop that does great coachbuilding with upgrades. The shop owner is a Ghost and P1 owner. Look under my avatar, and you can see I come from the land of the American Rolls Royce. Ed