Top Saddle Brackets

R.White

As my 1926 116 touring car does not have any of the above, would someone be able to post a photo of these in situ on a car. I do have a vague idea but I need to see a correctly set up example so that if I buy a pair that I have seen for sale, I don't make any silly mistakes! Any assistance is much appreciated as there are not many Dodge Brothers cars in the U.K. and I have not seen any other touring cars like mine.

Many thanks,

Ray.

Hi Ray, unfortunately, these things are quite rare for the 25-26 cars from what I've been able to learn. There is a good photo in the 'Mechanics Instruction Manual' that shows what it looks like installed. If you don't have a copy I can try to scan it in. There happens to be a pair of these on ebay (USA) in the DB section but they will go for more than I'm willing to spend. I've come across similar looking brackets at antique auto flea markets but they don't have the correct location for the post that secures it to the body. I'll probably end up modifying something more commonly available to do the job. It's too bad no one repros these...

This may help if your car has a Budd (all steel) body. The image is from a 1925 Book of Information and shows a 1924 body. I am sure your 1926 is the same.

If your car has an English or other body, an important point to note is the position of the mount, which determines the angle at which the folded hood lies. You will see that the Budd body mount is at the bottom of the bracket. Another and fundamental point is to determine whether the the bracket will fit around the folded hood irons.

post-44825-143138820158_thumb.jpg

Thankyou Mike, Thankyou Tony. The clamps on Ebay are the ones I had referred to. As I have little or no chance of finding the right ones at an auto jumble here in the U.K. I might as well have a go at buying these if they are still there. If they prove to be unsuitable, for whatever reason, I can always put them back on ebay again but give the first refusal to you guys. I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Ray.

Tony, I have just noticed that you have a peugot 203 station wagon. We used to have one of those when I was a child. My Dad, who was pretty canny when it came to cars, loved it. I have not seen one for years and have only happy memories of a remarkable workhorse.

Nostalgically,

Ray. (got a photo?)

Hi Ray

These photos should throw DB forum members into a state of confusion. The Peugeot 203 may be too far out of left field for some of them!

I first owned this waggon in 1973-76. Subsequently sold, it had been shed stored and unused since that time. The first photo was taken on its emergence from said shed in 2009 after my re-purchasing. The second was taken at home after the dust, possum pee and rat droppings were removed. The last photo was taken two weeks ago at the painters' shop.

As the original mileage is only 35,000 and the body is rust free (practically unheard of in a 203) I felt that a no holds barred restoration was warrented. I am attempting to ensure that remains all 1954 down to the last nut and bolt - unusual for Peugeots as, like DBs, they tend to be updated with later style parts.

For bewildered forum members, this little number includes the usual Peugeot features of hemispherical combution chambers in an aluminium (Alpax) head, four sychromesh gearbox with overdrive top gear, transverse leaf front end and a worm final drive. The final result from 1290cc is 45hp and the ability to haul 600kg at 80 km/h (1350 pounds at 50 mph). The valve timing is square with no overlap. Consequently, like an air cooled VW, it can be driven flat out without exceeding 4500 rpm, or a theoretical 74mph. However, the laws of physics dictate that around 60 mph on the flat is about it with the pedal held firmly to the metal.

Sorry about this diversion - now back to matters DB.

Cheers

Tony

post-44825-143138821892_thumb.jpg

post-44825-143138821926_thumb.jpg

post-44825-143138821958_thumb.jpg