1963 riviera production date gap

Guest HCALAA

This is my first post regarding a Riv; I restored two of them over 20 years ago and decided to give another a shot. I picked up a tired 63' with quite a few options which hooked me on the car. The serial number is 7J1049706, which I believe means it was one of the last 300 cars produced for the model year? If that is correct; my data plate on the firewall tells me it was fabricated 1C, which means third week in January. The Fisher Body number is 15731, which makes it quite a bit earlier than the serial number. The engine number matches the serial number and is also stamped JT 4 6.

So the question is; what would cause such a delay between the body date and the serial number?

Here's a link to a previous post in which Jim Cannon explains that VIN's are not exclusive to Rivieras, but cover all full sized cars that Buick built in '63; there were almost 400,000 units built that year. The FB # is the production sequence for Rivieras and it corresponds with the build date. Nothing fishy here. :)

http://forums.aaca.org/f177/1963-riviera-vin-numbers-235883-2.html

Ed

Hello Everybody,

This is my first post here.Lots of good info. I am currently restoring a 65 Riviera.I was wondering what the lowest FB # of a 1963 Riviera would be? The reason that I ask is because a friend of mine has FB 363.The vin ends in 2363.The car was purchased on 10/12/62 in Garland Texas.Does that mean it was the 363 Riviera produced?

The earliest FB number I have in my '63 Riv database is FB 43. It is so early in production that there is no "month and week" code stamped in the corner of the data plate.

Yes, your friend's FB 363 is the 363rd Riviera built. It was built in the first week of September, '62. I would love to get a photo of the data plate from him, if he would not mind, and perhaps an e-mail at which I can ask him a few questions about details on the car.

His car was owned by my father and is currently being stored at my garage.I will take a photo of the data plate.May take a couple of days to get to the garage where it is stored.You can ask me about the details because I am very familiar with the car.Thank you for the info.