color of 1936 dodge gauges

amigo

Amigo ,After all these years it's hard to tell exactly what color they were. They do seem to have a golden reflective shade. I restored mine with new decals that I had made but they're in a reflective silver-white color. They look great ,now that they're all the same color and they are easier to read under the really dim instrument lamps. The cellophane shieds around the gauges cast a light grren tint on them. The decals were a lot cheaper than silk screen and make everything look new. I do have some left if you're interested.

jpage - Could you post some photos (or scans) of the decals you have for the gauges so we can get a gander at the colors? It would be great to get some shots of a real (but lightly cleaned) gauge front taken under the same lighting so a comparison could be made if you have a loose one. ;) (Lighting greatly affects color comparison - especially on a computer screen!) Guys that really have poor guage fronts could really benefit from these types of comparisons.

If they are truly reflective, like safety stickers, you can light them with whatever standard lighting you have (would be perfect if you could use those natural color daylight style lamps) from multiple angles and NOT use the flash on the camera.

Or if you MUST use a flash it has to be off the camera some distance - three feet or so. That way the bright part of the flashback from the sticker goes back to the source of the light and not directly into the camera lens.

How ever you do the lighting on the stickers, use the SAME lighting style and positions for the gauges. Then there will be a good comparison. ;)

Here's a photo of my gauge panel withthe new gauge faces with an old speedo face for comparison. I have no doubt that the original gauges had a tan or golden finish but if you notice on the old face around the word "DODGE" it is noticably lighter in color. It first appears as though it was rubbed but rubbing would have removed the letters and this is how it was removed from the cluster. I assume that the finish has darkened with age. The decals are a lot lighter and the numbers a bit fatter(it was hard to convince the printer to get it right) but I think it gives a better overall look. Comments?

post-33734-143138817005_thumb.jpg

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

In my opinion, the lighter color around the "Dodge" word on the original is very close to what it "should" be. I have seen varying versions of the goldish tone on different cars with the more weathered cars looking a darker gold tone.

With that said, the white reflective stickers made by your printer are VERY well done! I would be proud to have those meter faces on my car!

(Really, the ONLY thing sort of noticeable is the tightness of the "30". Everything else looks nice and sharp in this photo.)

I noticed that too but I was really happy with them. The printer had to draw each number and it took several tries for them to get each number and letter right. They show up really well under the dash lights.The decals were a lot cheaper than silk screen!

• 2 weeks later...

Amigo , I think I have an extra set . Give me your address and I'll send them to you. They are applied like any other decal, dampen the gauge face and the decal with warm soapy water then peel off the paper backing. Carefully position the decal and press out the air bubbles. The soapy water allows the decal to slide a bit. Be careful around the stop pins. The holes for the stop pins have to be made prior to installing the decals. Can be tricky! Cut the decal a little larger than the gauge face for full coverage and trim when dry. On the speedo,make a slot with a sharp knife in the odometer recess after applying the decal and work it in to the recess before it dries. I think you'll be very satisfied! Jim