Price Check: 1940 Pontiac Eight convertible coupe

Matt Harwood

Undoubtedly a rare car, so rare that I can't find any records of any selling anywhere in the past 10 years. It's a very nice older restoration of a 1940 Pontiac Eight convertible coupe. Very straight, clean car, decent older paint job that is showing some light signs of age in a few areas, but overall very presentable as-is. Excellent chrome and brightwork. Maroon leather/vinyl interior in excellent condition and showing almost no wear and excellent plastic knobs. A strong driver with good power and torque that looks great. I might rate it as a 3+ or even a 2-.

I'm sort-of comparing it to, say, a 1940 Buick Super convertible coupe, which puts it in the mid- to high-$30s, but thought I would consult guys who know more than I do about it. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

post-31138-143138813292_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138813294_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138813295_thumb.jpg

The Buick's seem to have a little edge in price and especially in a following. Unfortunately you just don't see them like you say. This car looks really nice and because it's a Torpedo ( name that was used only in 1940 to describe the "C" body ) it's riding on the baby Cadillac chassis. I saw a 40 coupe Torpedo in Hemmings last year, same color and condition from what I could see in pictures go for 15K. I have also seen a few coupes and touring coupes, but they are modified unfortunately.:eek:

Good luck with this car Matt, looks like a keeper.

D.