1983 Buick riviera turbo convertible

Guest Shelton7421

Guest Shelton7421

I am new to the forum, but my family has had an interesting past with riviera convertibles. Our first one, an 84, was bought in middle tennessee in 1986 and about six months later the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation showed up to ask us about it. Turns out that car was supposed to have been destroyed because it was approving grounds car. The driver of the truck carrying the car decided to sell his load to a junk yard instead of taking them to the crusher. Our second may be even more interesting, and this is what I need some information about. In 2003 we bought a 1983 riviera convertible, red on red with a white top. This car was a little odd to me because it had a factory 3.8 turbo motor. well long story short I blew the motor racing a Porsche one night. My question is, did I destroy a unicorn? I still have the car but want to know if it is worth the money to have the motor rebuilt. I have documentation stating that it is a 1983 riviera convertible with the 3.8 turbo. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Shelton

I think you do have a rear car. Here is some history on your car go to this web site New Page 1. Also go to facebook and look up E-body 79-85 group there are more of this generation guys on there. you will find first gen on this forum. If you send me pictures of the option code lable fron the trunk i can decode it for you. great car going to be alot of money to rebuld the engine.

Guest wildcat465

Only 1 documented Buick built 83 turbo Riviera convertible (Indy 500 Pace Car). Jay Leno current owner. I think I heard he bought the car that we used to see at occasional ROA and BCA National Meets. GM sold off a lot of the Heritage Collection cars.

Would be interesting to see pictures of this car, the label on the trunk lid as well. Is it carb or injected?

I would think that any Riviera convertible whether or not the engine is correct is a desirable car if the body and interior are in fine shape. Drivetrain stuff is relatively cheap and easy to repair.

The VIN number will be on the build sheet and the option label. I worked at a Buick dealer in the 80’s and living and growing up in Buick City where the engineers worked at Buick head quarters I have seen cars built that were not offered to the public. Engineers where and are required to purchase a new car every 18 months plus they drive a company car. They would take a build sheet and go to the plant and have a special car built. This could have happened or I bet the car was made as a coupe and someone had it converted after market.

I used to go the fisher body all the time and walk the line watching the cars being built and then over to Buick City to watch final assembly. What fun I was shocked when I walked in an they where building a batch of cars for Mary Kay pink Buick Regal 2 and 4 door with dark red cloth interior looked like a stabbed pig HA HA.

Guest wildcat465
SPID labels are only inside the trunk lids of 1984 -1985 models. For 1979-1983 models you have to look for a build sheet hidden in the interior of the car.

Sorry Jayson, I only have 84-85's. So I amend, it would be cool to see the build sheet on this car, along with engine photos, pictures of the top up and down, etc.