There's Gotta be an easier way to Polish

Guest 1963 Riviera

Guest 1963 Riviera

Hi All,

I gave my 63 Rivi her first wash and polish today

Perfect day for it.

But what a nightmare polishing the wire rims !

Removing and using a cream polish followed by a buff took me almost 3 hours

Can anyone suggest a quicker and easier way ?

She looks stunning BUT.:eek:

NICK,

soon to be an ROA member

ps. How do I insert a photo ? I use iphoto. It requests a URL LINK what does that mean ?

OK Nick: Go to the auto detail supply guy and get some wire wheel cleaner. Spray it on, let it sit for about 30 seconds and blast it off with good water pressure. Repeat if necessary. Wah-Lah. It also works great on chrome and stainless. Don't let it sit too long and wet down areas with a wet terry towel that are not to be affected. and if possible rub it with the tripple ott steel wheel. The #0000 ott doesn't come apart as easily as the 000.

For an even better job take them apart and spray them with the wire wheel cleaner, hit 'em (each part) with #000 steel wool and wash off with water. A good quality 1/4' nut driver is all you'll need for the dis and re-assembly. Better put on your sunglasses because they will sparkle. I have done this process at least 100 times and it's easy and fun.

I'm suggesting that you go with the #0000 steel wool. It's finer and won't have a tendency to scratch as much as the coarser #000. You want to use the steel wool to polish with, not to scratch off excess grime. The nice thing about taking them apart is that you can re-d0 or touch up the black on the backing plate.

Ed

OK ED: I don't think it matters in a million years. The reason, again, I like the trippple is because it can be unraveled and re-rolled up the opposite way making a nice pad. Actually, even the rough stuff isn't to awful bad. And........for even more sparkle I use Flitz metal polish. Mitch

That's some good advice as to how to make the wheels look good. First though you have to start with a wheel that doesn't have any rust pits in the bead area. The Formula Five wheels that are OE for our Rivieras are even easier to clean than the one pictured. The one pictured is the two-piece kind that are found on the A bodied cars from the same era. The Forumla Five wheels that are common on the Riviera do not have that seam where the face of the wheel meets the rim.

I've had pretty good luck painting centers with a foam brush. If you set the wheel in the sun to cure, the paint flows out nicely and there are no tell tale brush marks. You can then use some #0000 steel wool on the ribs to clean up any goof-ups; it's a lot easier than masking.

Ed

FWIW, I wanted to polish a bumper on a 62 Lincoln I had and could only find some #000 steel wool in my garage. Yes, it scratched the bumper. I will only use the #0000 grade steel wool for polishing. Also, if any of you have modern aftermarket chrome wheels, I have seen #0000 steel wool damage that quality chrome. Always try a small hidden area first.