Windshield Glass Rubber/Weatherstrip

MikeC5

I know at least some of you must have had your old plate glass windshield replaced with safety (laminated) glass. How thick was the glass compared to the original stuff and where did you get the appropriate new rubber to fit in the frame?

Are you talking about your touring car windshield? If so, just have it installed using the modern windshield rubber setting "tape" I think it is called. Any glass shop, or yourself can install it. It is 1/4" glass, same as original except safety plate.

Great, thanks Dave. Yes I was referring to my 25 touring windshield. I think somewhere along the line, my glass was replaced with thinner plate glass (less than 3/16) and some kind of thicker rubber surround to make up the difference.

Mike

I have some spare end caps.

Also re windshield are you also planning to use the original U channel along with the tape. ? That is the flexible metal channel that inserts into the windshield frame itself. I did and then used a thin tape with 1/4 inch to set my glass.

bob in CT

Hi Bob. great I'll contact you about stopping by for the end caps. My bottom frame doesn't have the flexible metal channel; the upper one does. I'm going to bring both to a glass place and see what options I have. Do you know of any local place that does antique auto glass?