Street rod school

Hi, my name is Tim Short I?m writing you today to tell about a new school, Busters School of Street Rods, we teach our youth (and everybody else) to build what we love, street rods. We started this school with the vision of benefiting our hobby as well as giving people the chance to succeed in a career they love, the response to our school is remarkable, but due to the recent attacks on our country and the poor state of the economy, most prospective students need financial help. We have commercial financial companies that are willing to loan funds to students at inflated interest rates but federal aid won?t be available to us until June 2003. <BR>Our school needs to find an investor that will save us from the financial hardship that has befallen us, if you know anyone that possibly invest and save our school from an imminent demise. The Lord helps those who help themselves, asking for help is my way of helping our school to be a success.<BR>I hold controlling interest in the school and I am willing to sell all of my interest in the school and donate 5% to a scholarship fund for future automotive trade school students. I believe this school will succeed and am willing to give all my interest to make it a reality. The school needs between $500k and $1m to reach the accreditation stage in June 2003. We currently have ten students and three signed up for future start dates. We have hundreds of leads of people who will enroll when federal aid is available. This school will make millions of dollars a year!<BR>I have been lead by our Lord to this point for a reason and put in this position to make me stronger in Him. I love this work I do and I know I can through the guidance of God do more, I will even if I don?t own any of the school do the best job I can do for the good of our hobby and humanity. <BR>I have a prepared business plan available for serious persons, I am asking to please to consider helping us find an investor. There is so much work to do and so little time! Thank you for your club, it?s great to see you at the meets and see you on the web. <BR>My office Phone # is 623-937-8999<BR>We are located in Glendale, Arizona. We have a web site at bustersschoolofstreetrods.com. & full page ads in Street Rodder Magazine & Goodguys Gazette. <BR>God be with you,<BR>Tim

Tim,<BR>Thanks for your post. I warn you now though that you may not get great results here. This is an antique auto forum focusing on restoration, not modification.<P>You may want to find a hot rodding forum out their to post to for better success.<P>Peter

Many of us involved in the restoration of antique cars are hoping that the renewed patriotism and interest in American history that has arisen over the last six months will spell the end of hot rodding. Maybe you ought to turn your interests towards restoration of these survivors of American industrial history rather than the destruction of them.

First, I have the greatest respect for those skilled individuals who devote themselves to restoring cars to showroom new condition. Second, it saddens me to see a restorable old car chopped up. However, someone needs to play devil's advocate here. I submit for discussion the assertion that automotive customizing has had a direct influence on new auto design in the post-war period. Consider George Barris, Carol Shelby, Ed Roth. Consider the vehicles on diplay at the Petersen Museum in LA. Customized cars share the same building with concourse quality restorations. In nature, evolution occurs through mutuation. The vast majority of these mutations are unsucessful. However, the one-in-a-million successful mutation is responsible for the improvement of the species. Another analogy is opera. I don't personally care for it, but I appreciate the years of dedication and the artistry that go into it. Would you scoff at a Murphy bodied Duesenberg because it didn't roll off the assembly line in final form? You may consider this absurd, but how do you think Murphy got his start? One final thought, then I'll brace myself for the slings and arrows: Many of the cars chosen for street rods come from pastures and creek banks. They often lack a driveline& interior. In such cases, a restoration is just not practical. If making an unrestorable vehicle into a street rod brings a person satisfaction, more power to them!

Guest leadfoot

Tim, your chances of obtaining any VC type funding from this side of the old car hobby are twofold - slim and none. An overwhelming part of the members here would probably prefer to see your school fold. Sure, some of the work customizers do is interesting and high quality. And some of it is pure butchery.<P>My guess is the realistic bottom line for your school is a lot less than "making millions of dollars". While I personally don't want to wish anyone bad fortune, I hope that your school doesn't succeed. Maybe, with the Lord's guidance, fewer old cars will be destroyed and lost forever.

ATTENTION INVESTORS ---<P>For Sale - One bridge connecting lower Manhattan Island with the Borough of Brooklyn. This wonderful opportunity for investment is located in the New York City area. cool.gif" border="0 Must sell! Reasonable offers accepted.<P>In case you don't want to buy a hot rod school, here is a place to put your hard earned money.<BR> wink.gif" border="0rolleyes.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0

Here's something to consider. A street rod is based on the builder's fabrication ability- in other words, being able to make parts where there are none. Being able to do all the mechanical, body/paint and interior work. Being able to visualise the finished product. Learned skills that would come in very handy in restoration work, do you not agree?<P>I look at the quality of most street rods, and then at the quality of some restorations, and I realise the rodders may be onto something.

Dfield ~ Well then, how about some nice beach front property out here in Wyoming. cool.gif" border="0 REASONABLE!<P>rocketraider ~ I too have a great deal of admiration for the workmanship on many hot rods. That admiration does not require that I approve of what is sometimes lost to history in creating that beautiful workmanship. smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0 <P>I like to look at Pamela Sue Anderson and the workmanship is great, but I do not necessarily approve of the process involved in arriving at the finished product. rolleyes.gif" border="0 <BR>~ hvs

With just the right amount of cropping, and a few minor modifications, you could turn the <I>Mona Lisa</I> into one hell of a poster!<P> rolleyes.gif" border="0<P>Have you seen any pictures of Pam Anderson when she was still 100% organic? I've yet to see the improvement, myself.<P><BR>Wait a minute! blush.gif" border="0<P>God told him to make street rods? rolleyes.gif" border="0<P><I>"Hey Honey, I've just been divinely inspired! Hand me that Hemmings! I'll need one of these, and one of those, and a couple...."</I> tongue.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0

Funk @ Wagnalls defines Hot Rod as;<P>Hot Rod-U.S. slang, An automobile, usu.an older model modified for high speeds.<P>Hmmm....it would seem that putting an overdrive into an old car would be a "speed modification". Also modern babbit in your rods and mains would be a "speed modification". What about tubeless tires, another "speed modification". How about synthetic lubricants? <P>Is the club in denial?

Denial ~ A river in Egypt. rolleyes.gif" border="0 <P>Dave ~ Bigger is not necessarily better. rolleyes.gif" border="0 Younger is usually better and she ain't gettin no younger. A certain amount of work is necessary to keep the older models on the road. grin.gif" border="0 <P>Webster: "Hot Rod - An automobile, usually an old one, stripped of extraneous parts, adjusted or rebuilt for quick accelleration and great speed."<P>Chuck, as they used to say on Laugh IN, "Stick that in your funkn wagnalls!" shocked.gif" border="0 ~ hvs smile.gif" border="0

I believe you are all missing one important fact. We worry about the aging of our membership .and then get upset when a young member makes a modificationon his car. I got into antique cars thirty plus years ago because my boys got old enough to break my race car( 1929 Ford with a 427 Chevy engine) I have enjoyed the old car hobby since then ,and have had cars at Meadowbrook and Eyes on the Classics. If we get these young ones interested we will gain some members that are interested in cars ,and then we retrain them to build proper antiques. <P>PS Now the boys are grown and I have a street Rod as well as a few antique cars,<p>[ 03-27-2002: Message edited by: The Old Guy ]

Old Guy,<P>Did you ever see a 16 year old at the wheel of a Model T <I>without</I> a smile on his face? smile.gif" border="0<P>Failure to instill values and respect for history explains a great deal in a wide range of society's problems. <P>But then I could be paddling up an Egyptian river! smile.gif" border="0