!940 Door Rubber Installation.....

Guest bsj

Gettign ready to install door rubber on my 1940 Roadmaster. I have removed old rubber the best I could. I got the door rubber from Steele. My question is what is the best way to install it? The pictures are not the best quality and I apologize, hopefully the point gets across. The driver side rubber fits ok, but the rear driver side the top is curved in a little which makes it difficult to install like the instructions suggests. Since this is the first time taking on a project like this any suggestions, criticism, thoughts would be very helpful.

bsj

post-77707-14313878109_thumb.jpg

post-77707-14313878135_thumb.jpg

post-77707-14313878136_thumb.jpg

post-77707-143138781369_thumb.jpg

Hmmmm, I'm thinking you would want to seat the rubber as flat against the slanted lip as possible to prevent any water being trapped in there. My '39 doesn't have that severe an angle so the rubber fits square against both surfaces. So, I like the positioning in the 2nd photo. How was the old seal installed, with or without the gap, and do you think it was original?

JV

JV,

Yes it was original rubber. It has melting over the past 30 years, so really don"t know what it looked like. The second photo is what i"m thinking also, but its going to take forvever to add adhesive and hold it in that postion till it dries. It's only on top. The rest of the door the rubber fits like it supposed to.

Thanks for the information.

bsj

JV and airbrushyguy,

Thanks for the input on tips on installation. I will probably have more questions when I actually start here in the future.

Thanks,

bsj

bsj'

I did my '40 ltd last fall using the same rubber in your pic's.

Your upper right picture is the proper location.

I cleaned my door edges w acetone and a screw diver gently. Then a bit of scotchbrite down in the "root" of the doors. I trial fitted each door w/ a strip of rubber about 4" longer than required. When in place, put a pc of masking tape up top in the middle of the door and mark a line on it. Put a pc of tape on the top of the rubber and mark it too. Align the two marks, and make sure you have the same amount of excess on each end.

First get a box of disposable rubber gloves and a box of wooden clothes pins. Wear the gloves and keep the clothes pins very handy. If you get glue on your hands, you can strip off the gloves and keep working.

Put a SMALL bead of the recommended 3-M black adhesive in the root and just a bit on the VERTICLE surface, and let it get real tacky. Drape the rubber over the door (away from the glue, and line up the two marks. Push the rubber into the root/glue bead at the center mark, and put a clothes pin there to hold it in place. Work your way out from center one side at a time and do not stretch the rubber, let it lay where it wants to. Use a clothes pin about every 5-6 inches. Closer at the corners. when you get to the bottoms trim the rubber to about 1" over.

When both ends are in place, pull all the pins, and shut the door. Leave for a day......

That's how I did mine, and I had very little clean up to do afterwords.

Best of luck,

Mike in Colorado