Fuel Pump, Sender, et al

Guest rojelio77

Guest rojelio77

Gentle People of the Reatta Forum - My '90 coupe has been afflicted with the loud, whining fuel pump noise eminating from the rear. I believe this to be the case upon reviewing other informative posts on the subject. I've learned that I will need to drop the fuel tank in order to replace the fuel pump, also by reading an informative post. Correct me if I'm wrong. But my '90 coupe has the additional malady of a bad fuel guage sending unit; the fuel guage forever blinks "low fuel" when it is not low. So I need to replace it as well. I understand that these senders are akin to hens teeth; rare. Any thoughts and guidance on the above is greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly! Roj

Guest Richard D

Check with the folks who sell replacement parts, they are listed under the sticky "Resources" at the top of the Reatta forum. I think Jim Finn may be able to repair them, but I don't remember that for sure.

Am I wrong in my assumption that the fuel pump and sender come as a unit? I replaced my fuel pump a few years ago and the fuel gauge sender hasn't worked since. Always reads low fuel. It was such a PITA job, I never dropped the tank again.

Just one other mention. I have also been told that "in tank" fuel pump applications require fuel to keep the pumps cool and running low fuel in the tank will lead to premature failure. True or false?

I swear if I am ever tempted to drop the tank again, I will consider cutting a hole in the trunk floor to allow access to the unit without dropping the tank. Once the hole is cut, a cover plate can be installed over the hole. I just helped a buddy replace the fuel pump in his '91 Corvette. It had an access hole in the spare tire compartment. Took 20 minutes to replace his pump. Took me a whole day and a buddy's help to replace the Reatta unit.

Guest rojelio77

So I'm a tad confused. It sounds like a "fuel pump assembly" includes the sender and pump. Padgett's response implies a new Delco assembly can be purchased which corrects both issues, correct? And NCReatta has access to good used assemblies, again pump and sender. If I can get a new assembly, I might opt for that just to be sure. But it may be that the sender is a rebuild while the pump is new. More than anything, I'd like to get it all done at once given the PITA level of the task. Thanks guys.