Ignition Switch Question

Guest Randy7

I have a 1919 Clum ignition/light switch in nice shape, not all rusted up. The light switch works ok. The ignition switch is locked up/stuck. I have the correct number key and it wont turn it on. Are these easy to take apart and work on or is there someone that fixes them around? Do they have pins and springs in them like modern day switches that could just need cleaned or adjusted? If they come apart, do you take everything out the back?

Thanks

Randy

Randy, yes the ignition lock uses little springs and pins like most modern locks (unless a 1919 switch is different from 1925). I opened mine up very carefully to keep the order of the pins. Even if you did mix them up, with the lock cylinder out all it takes is studying the key and a little trial and error to get them back in the right place. I should have taken some photos of the thing apart but didn't... Just be mindful of the little springs as they can launch themselves and pins which are hard to find on a dirty garage floor..

If its like modern locks you would just place the key in the cylinder and match the pins until they lye flat in the cylinder sorta like Mike was gettin at Im sure