unusual vibration

Guest Recian

Well I finally brought my 89 home today after the 6 month overhaul. It ran very very good. I noticed driving in town occasionally when at a stop i get a very aggressive vibration. It doesnt change if I put it in Park or Neutral or rev it up. When at idle it's 750. 650 when in drive. It idles so smooth the engine feels like it's not running so when this vibration kicks in i definately notice it. The RPMs dont change when it happens. Im thinking harmonic balancer is starting to go bad. Any ideas?

a/c blower? i have the climate control off since i dont have a condensor and it's been in the 70s here. I thought cooling fans maybe pulling a load since it happens when temp is over 205 usually but i cant hear the fans

Is this possibly related to the odd "wobbles" of the crankshaft or has that been resolved? I would think rpm would have an effect if so. What condition are the mounts and exhaust hangers? Metal to metal contact will transmit all sorts of odd sounds or feelings. I tried a solid upper torque strut mount but it was intolerable.

i have all new motor mounts. the crank movement turns out to be normal movement if padgett is right. He posted before that some movement is acceptable since the crank walks forwards and backwads as it rotates but there is a spec for movement. I know it's not bent since the torque converter seal isnt leaking. Also if there was something out of balance i'd assume it would do it all the time not just when it feels like it and when the car's temp rises over 200. My exhaust hangers are fine. It's not a metallic sound just a dull vibration. It does feel like similar to a solid motor mount. I put some in my hyundai once and i couldnt stand to let out the clutch due to the vibration. It's very similar to that

2Seater is right, a bad motor mount can feel like the engine is falling out. OTOH the "over 205" and no relation to rpm sounds a lot like a radiator fan that has lost a blade.

You can go into overrides ES07 and ES08 with the key on and engine off to turn on the pusher and puller fans.

it would make sense but dont the fans not even come on til 220? i havent had the car to 220 yet. It hasnt gone that high since the rebuild

it would make sense but dont the fans not even come on til 220? i havent had the car to 220 yet. It hasnt gone that high since the rebuild
Instead of debating the hows and whys of it being a cooling fan, it would make more sense to just go into diagnostics and turn on each fan, one at a time, using overrides ES07 and ES08 as Padgett suggested. It shouldn't take over three minutes to do the test. If you feel the vibration start when the fan starts you know for sure that's what's causing it.