Packard Advertising history Book

Steve_Mack_CT

I really enjoyed the book a lot. I have collected auto ads for over 35 years, and found it really interesting to read about the stories behind the different campaigns. Arthur's original research was done when some of the people actually involved in Packard advertizing were still alive, which gives it a whole different perspective. He also taps into sources that I haven't seen utilized and goes beyond just the advertizing and into the business aspect of the Packard Motor Car Company as well as the personalities of the men who made the company what it was. I learned from this book and would definitely recommend it to anyone who is interested in either Packard or auto advertizing history.

Guest Oldschoolgent

I'll have to add this one to my list. I love vintage advertising, in general, but automotive has been the pinnacle of my collection.

Packard had many good ad campaigns back in the day, however, Lincoln in the 20s and 30s definitely trumped them, in my opinion.

I'll have to add this one to my list. I love vintage advertising, in general, but automotive has been the pinnacle of my collection.

Packard had many good ad campaigns back in the day, however, Lincoln in the 20s and 30s definitely trumped them, in my opinion.

The Lincoln "Bird" ads from 27/28 are awesome and they did good stuff in the early 30s as well as the series with the custom cars in scenes from 36/37, but I still think that Packard was consistently on top. The "Luxurious Transportation" series is one of my favorites of all ads. I will list that as a shot over your bow. I am of course a Packard guy, but there aren't that many Lincoln ads that stick with me like the Packard or Cadillac ones do. I'm curious to hear your response. Maybe we should start a new thread...

Or feel free to build on this one, guys, Dave, maybe you want to "seed" either this one or a new one (on CCCA, so the Caddy/Lincoln guys seeit?) with some samples from your collection?? IF you have time, that is -as always, thanks for sharing!!

Guest Oldschoolgent
The Lincoln "Bird" ads from 27/28 are awesome and they did good stuff in the early 30s as well as the series with the custom cars in scenes from 36/37, but I still think that Packard was consistently on top. The "Luxurious Transportation" series is one of my favorites of all ads. I will list that as a shot over your bow. I am of course a Packard guy, but there aren't that many Lincoln ads that stick with me like the Packard or Cadillac ones do. I'm curious to hear your response. Maybe we should start a new thread...

I do enjoy the Lincoln "bird" ads of the twenties, but my favorite American Lincoln ads are the ones from 34-39 portraying the K series. There is something about the illustrations and use of color that make those my absolute favorite. I am also a clothing and style junkie, especially from the twenties and thirties (Art Deco), so that draws my eye. I am a Lincoln guy, but Packard is a very close second for me. My collection of Lincoln advertisements is about two thirds complete (through 1979); and my pre-war Packard ad collection is sitting about about one third complete. As for Cadillac, I'm not impressed by much they put out. However, I do own a few Cadillac and LaSalle ads from the late twenties...

The Packard "luxurious transportation" ads are nice, but lack the elegance (in my opinion) that Packard deserves. For Packard, I prefer the 32-34 Twin Six/Twelve ads that poise the car in front of a house, on a test track, or in traffic. Forgive my ignorance as to the name of that series.

I also have some very rare (in the States) French Lincoln advertisements from the twenties and early thirties out of L'Illustration magazine. In general, the French Art Deco illustrations are stunning, regardless of the product. The dozen or so English ones I have are nice too, but do not compare stylistically to the French ones or even the American ones, for that matter.

I only started collecting paper advertising about 2 years ago. There is a fantastic antique shop located about a half hour from my college that has thousands of paper ads and magazines available (for really good prices). The lady always gives me a significant discount, of which I am greatly appreciative! I certainly derailed this thread. haha

Guest Oldschoolgent
Gent, not at all, book ran it's course let's discuss auto ads now.

Didn't forget you, BTW, I expect to have a little time on my hands after the holidays and suspect I can find some duplicate stuff for your reading pleasure....

I'm in for a good discussion! Do you collect auto ephemera too, Steve?

Didn't think you forgot about me. This is a busy time of year for everyone, that's for sure.

Guest John_Lawrence

I have a copy of the Einstein book and enjoy reading about the ads and looking at the art work. To me it is a shame that the ads were not reproduced in color, they are all in black and white. Still a good Packard book for reference, enjoyment, research, and to have on the bookshelf. Recommended with qualification.

(o[]o)