Good Condition Reatta

Guest Keith_Milford

Guest Keith_Milford

Hi folks,

I have enjoyed the last few years with my Reatta, and have found myself driving it more and more as my primary vehicle. In fact, I've gradually been selling off my other vehicles as I find I don't drive them enough (I'm down to 6 from my previous 10). So, I've decided I would like to add another Reatta to the stable. Anyone who's been on the fence about selling, this may be your chance. I'm looking for something in relatively good condition that doesn't require a lot of re-conditioning. Year and color are not terribly important. No convertibles. I would like to find something local to Georgia, but I'm not above flying out to the right car and driving it home. If anyone is interested, email me at rkmilf@gmail.com. Looking for something under $5k.

Guest Jerry Hunt

keith, we have a 1990 reatta in Maui Blue That we purchased thru a family friend. t was a one owner car. Everything was perfect until about a week ago. Window stopped going up and down. Headlights also stopped going up and down and today started having some transmission problems. other than that all is good. It has less than 90,000 miles. not sure if we should try to sell as is or fix and then sell. would have to source out the work as no skills on my part. Let me know if you are intersted.

Jerry

Guest Keith_Milford

Where are you located? The Maui Blue is my favorite, but a tranny problem is a definite concern. The other problems are easy fixes. PM me more info. I have to fly out of town for the weekend, but will be following up on this next week if anyone else is interested.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Squire Tom

any interest in a red 91 coupe ? 116k runs fine NOW .

only issues :

antenna motor runs but won't retract

driver headlight motor sticks occasionally- rollers and cranks replaced both sides

new radiator

new heater fan switch / motor

a/c upgrade to r 134

Bosch , NOT Teves brakes

new windshield

switched driver and pass seat ( wear on original driver left side)

need s carpet

original florida car - driven by a lady college professor( no i am serious). bought 4 years ago next feb from pj's autoworld in clearwater

new tires

radio / cassette replaced and work fine

tail light lenses and lettering intact with some crazing

power seats work fine / not 16 way

tranny fluid changed and shifts fine , gaskets repaired

new starter / harmonic balancer / crank position sensor

location leesburg florida @40 miles west of orlando intl airport

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Keith_Milford

Thanks for the replies and emails. However, I ended up going in a completely different direction. Still driving the Reatta as my DD, but bought an '84 944 as a project car (my first car out of HS was a 924). I know this offends some of your patriotic sensibilities, but I feel comfortable that any negative effect the sale of this car had on the American economy was over 28 years ago. Anyway, thanks again for your responses.

The 944 is a terrific car. I have owned mine for 25 years and think I will probably be buried in it.

Note that it has an 'interference' engine. Have the the cam and balance belts replaced *religiously* every 30k miles, and the cam pulleys and whatnot every 60k miles. (If your car has belts with unknown age, do it now.) Although some people claim you can tension the belts otherwise, find a shop does a lot of 944/928/968 cars and uses "The Tool" for properly tensioning the belts. After replacement, have them retensioned 3k later. Some people do another retensioning at 15k.

That and normal oil/coolant/transaxle fluid changes, and it will be a happy camper for a long time. (Use Redline in the transaxle.)

Oh yeah - rennlist.org is *the* on-line place for 944 advice.