1947 98 coupe information

Guest Bdamdifino

Guest Bdamdifino

I looked at a 1947 Olds 98 Coupe this weekend. Most the chrome is intact with the exception of the grill, hood trim and the rear wheel well covers, if it had them. All the glass is gone, the seats, except what looks to be a rear seat fold down center console are gone. Sheet metal is in really good shape. The guy told me that they only made around 600 or so? I am not normally an olds fan, but after having my heart broke finding out that the 62' f100 unibody shortbox with the wrap around back glass was crushed 3 months ago that I had been planning to build, I went on the prowl. The inline 8 is still under the hood, who knows if it's siezed, it has the Hydra-Matic transmission. He quoted me $7500 for the car, but had "a little" room.

My question is, Are these cars that rare & how much of an issue is finding the parts? The dash is just steel, I have seen pics of the wooden dashes & it has a hole in the dash for a clock. Soooo many questions!!! I just really love the lines of the car & wanted to know if it's as rare/unique as the guy said or if I should keep my eyes peeled for a better buy.

All my books show 8475 1947 Ninety Eight Club Sedans (coupes) built. All would have had that 257 CID straight eight and most would probably have had HydraMatic.

I think $7500 is steep considering all the stuff you have to find, because with that much missing it sounds like it's only a couple steps up from a parts car. It would have to be a proven runner and complete for that much money.

But sounds like he thinks he's sitting on a gold mine. Beautifully and correctly restored examples go for $15-20k, sometimes less, and you'd have a whole lot more in it than that time you gathered all the missing parts.

I say let him sit on it till he comes back down to earth.

hi, i'm in agreement with glenn, the seller is wanting about twice what the car's selling price should be. you might get lucky and find interchangeable fisher body parts - seats, glass, etc from a same bodystyle cadillac or buick. make the seller an offer that you'll stand by for some time to come, or keep searching for one like it, but in much better condition. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.