1929 Studebaker President Victoria

jgsmith

My brother has recently acquired a 1929 Studebaker President State Victoria. It is a very good, mostly original car, but there are a few small things that we need. For example, the bar that goes between the headlights with the S logo is missing. Has anyone reproduced them, or can originals be found?

The radiator cap is incorrect. Will the cap from any Studebaker of that year fit, or is there one that is specific to the President?

At Hershey this year, someone told me that the Presidents had an optional mascot radiator cap with a bird in flight. Can anyone confirm and/or supply a picture of what is correct?

The crankhole cover is gone. Same as above, are they reproduced, are they the same as any other series, can they be found?

It looks as if there were locks for the sidemounts, as there are some small brackets on the fenders beside the wheel wells. Did Presidents come with sidemount locks? If so, can anyone provide a picture?

We have located an owner's manual. Is there also a shop or service manual?

In reading another thread in this forum, it appears that the parts are available to repair the gas gauge. What all are we likely to need?

I'd love to hear from anyone who can answer our questions, or has parts that we might buy.

In time, we want to restore the car for show and eventual touring, so it's important that we do things right. Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks

John Smith

Orillia, Canada

Interesting to hear another Studebaker Victoria has surfaced, is it an FH or FE model?

I have an FE-FH roster I used to maintain when I owned a 1930 FH Victoria. There were 10 Victorias known at that time but the roster was only updated in 2009 so more may have been located since then. *the file is in .XLS format and cannot be attached on this forum.

I sold my 1930 about 10 years ago I have not followed the FE-FH series since.

Reproduction parts have dwindled also since the sources that made them went out of operation. You will have to advertise in the Antique Studebaker Review magazine for your wanted replacements.

Also attached are some images of restored Victorias in my files. The Brown one is a 1930 FE (long wheel base) and the Green one was my 1930 FH short wheel base. The B/W image is a factory photo of 1929 front end to show the details of the radiator ornament and head light support bar with "8" emblem you need.

Stude8

post-31139-143138735157_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138735162_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138735166_thumb.jpg

post-31139-14313873517_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138735175_thumb.jpg

post-31139-14313873518_thumb.jpg

I just had my machine shop make me new rods between the head light and the "8" emblem for my 1930 President FE because mine were pitted real deep. They look just like the orginals. I have sent them to the chrome shop and should get them back from the chrome shop next week. I don't have the "8" emblem, but if you find one I might can check on haveing a couple of rods made if need.

Thanks for the responses on our Studebaker. It's helpful and exciting to see pictures of other Victoria's. I think they are very handsome cars.

The engine number of the car starts with FE, if that helps. About the 8 emblem, I have a line on one, so we'll see how that works out.

I can already see that there is a Studebaker "community" out there, so it's good to know that there are people with information, parts and advice. Our last restoration project was a car that was almost one of a kind (1912 Tudhope, made in our hometown of Orillia, Ontario, Canada), so in that case, we were pretty much on our own.

Thanks again. This won't be the last time that I will look for help.

John

That is one very nice example of a Studebaker Victoria even if the color is not an authentic shade. Can you post the chassis serial number and engine number? Just to determine its age and order of production date.

Stude8

Most prewar Studes Had the paint name stenciled on the floor under the rear seat. When I did the peking to paris victoria I did not see it there. To check yours the rear cushion will lift out. Under that is a woodern slat grate that is over a storage area. It hinges up. Let us know if yours has the name there. I have the paint chips.

OK. I'll take the seat cushion out and have a look. Also about the Studebaker, I had the fuel pump rebuilt , got the car running and today took it for a short run around the neighbourhood. The motor sounds great: no knocks or ticks, and no cloud of blue smoke. It seems to have lots of power.

A couple of questions: First, what is the correct tire size? There are 6.00-20's on it, and they look a little oversize. Also, is there syncromesh in the transmission? I know it came into use in higher priced cars about this time. It shifts OK with double clutching, but if there is snyncromesh, I don't think it's working.

Once again, I appreciate how helpful Studebaker people are.

John

I found this old photo that shows the 1930 Studebaker FH Victoria rear seat cushion removed and the wood "grate" panel raised to clean mouse litter in floor pan under it. When cleaned the paint scheme for the car was stenciled on the floor pan.

Stude8

post-31139-143138740827_thumb.jpg

The President’s used 6.50 X 20 for the FH model, and 6.50 X 19 for FE model. One point to consider regarding the tires looking oversized has to do with today’s tire manufacturers. If you look at factory photos of your President carefully you will see that the 6.50 X 20 tire is the correct size and they did fit correctly in the side mount fender wells with the tire lock in place. However, most modern replacement 6.50 X 20 tires WILL NOT fit in your side mount fender well. This is because the modern replacement tires are not the exact same size as those used when your President was new. You need to be very careful in selecting replacement tires because some will not fit in your fender wells. I have found this out the hard way.

Studebaker was not using synchromesh in 1929 and double clutching is the correct method of shifting.

Everything Mark says is correct also besides the 6:00x20 tire width fitting tight in the fender wells the overall diameter is larger than 1929 era tires so the side mount straps do not propely align with the top arm they thread through since the tire is too tall. There is one advantage to this, if you use side mounted rear view mirrors they will give a little better rear vision since they are higher.

Attached are some color scheme menus for Studebakers as reference to consider an appropriate body color combination. Note the Dupont and Ditzler paint companies did not publish color charts until 1931 and that is the year they called Bulletin #1.

post-31139-143138741057_thumb.jpg

post-31139-14313874106_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138741063_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138741067_thumb.jpg

post-31139-14313874107_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138741076_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138741082_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138741097_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finally had the opportunity to take the seat cushion out to see if the colour codes were stencilled there. First I had to deal with a big mouse nest, but when that was cleaned up, there was no sign of the codes. Actually, the hatch is not slotted, but it seems to be original wood. Since it has always "lived" in Canada, we think it is a Walkerville car, so perhaps this accounts for the difference. I did, however, find the original colour inside the trunk. I used some compound on it, and it seems to be a medium sage green. In comparing it to the Studebaker Color Schedule above, the only green seems to be Garland Green, which I imagine would be a darker shade than this. I'm actually wondering about Silver Pine which could have green in the belt or reveals. Does anyone have any insight on this?

I've spoken to someone who knew the car when it was still being driven by its original owner, and he remembers it as "battleship gray".

I do want to thank everyone who has replied to this thread or sent me an email. You have been so helpful!

John